Re: O.T. Ink Jet Cleaning Fluid

Plenty of ammonia in a diaper pail.

Smirnoff wrote:

My Epson printer has clogged ink jets and needs a suitable pH liquid to
clean
them.
I live in the UK and am having trouble obtaining an ammonia-based fluid.
In the US a window cleaner called Windex does the job but the UK
equivalent, Windolene (the blue one) is very difficult to come by.
If I go into a chemist and ask for ammonia, I'm looked upon like a
potential mugger!
Is there a proprietry brand of ammonia- based ink cleaning fluid, perhaps
available from a PC outlet?
Any suggestions welcomed (eh, already thought of urine, I'll leave that
as a last resort!).
Thanks

Perhaps this will explain my situation better, quoting from the manual:

"Throughout this manual I use the term "Windex", which is a North
American name brand window cleaning liquid. In the last few years, the
Windex name has been applied to several types of cleaners, extending
beyond the window cleaner type, and the company now has many versions
of the product including "scented" "multi-surface" (which contains
vinegar, which is the WRONG pH for most Epson inks) "citrus or orange
oil fortified" (which contains oils which may be harmful to some
plastics used in printers) etc. Even standard blue Windex is not what
it used to be, as that formula no longer contains ammonia. In some
markets, Windex "original" has been reintroduced, which does, as
recommended, have ammonia in it.

"Therefore, to clarify, when I indicate the term "Windex" in this manual,
I mean either Windex with Ammonia "D" (or "original Windex") or any
standard generic window cleaning liquid which contains ammonia. In the
UK, there are several products sold under the name "Windolene". One is
a thick pink liquid, which is NOT appropriate. Another is a water-like
constancy blue liquid, which I have been told is similar to Windex in
North America, and appears to work similarly to it. There is a no-drop
Windolene formula which is clear and may state "original" on it. This
is NOT recommended as it has no ammonia, is too thick, and instead
contains a very dilute (1%) Sodium Hydroxide which may be damaging to
some metal components. If you cannot locate an ammoniated window
cleaner, try to locate household strength NON-sudsy ammonia, which is
used as a home cleaning agent, or for stripping some types of floor wax.
You can tell something which has ammonia in it by it's very
characteristic odor (a concentrated form was used in "smelling salts").
Try to avoid inhaling in quantity as it is caustic and the vapor is not
good for your lungs."

I'll keep looking

  • Re: O.T. Ink Jet Cleaning Fluid
    ... In the US a window cleaner called Windex does the job but the ... "Throughout this manual I use the term "Windex", ... American name brand window cleaning liquid. ... as that formula no longer contains ammonia. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: O.T. Ink Jet Cleaning Fluid
    ... In the US a window cleaner called Windex does the job but the UK ... "Throughout this manual I use the term "Windex", ... as that formula no longer contains ammonia. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Eds Red - Acetone or MEK?
    ... Isn't enough ammonia in Windex to do much more than ... There's easier and cheaper ways of getting water onto ... # windex is at the top along with Sweets and and the new Shooters Choice ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: One clogged nozzel
    ... The most interesting technique is the use of ammonia based cleaner ... Pressing the printhead ... reccomends a slow push and a quick pull, and after 10 or so times ... Others might reccomend a solution of alcohol and windex, ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: solution and procedure for cleaning SCT corrector?
    ... The ammonia reacts with the coating. ... > Al Nagler himself recommends both Windex and Kleenex. ... gradually wear away the abrasion resistance coatings on polycarbonate ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)