Re: PARTITION SIZE FOR xP AND VISTA

You have asked a question that for some people is almost religious in nature
:-) You will get many different recommendations. Personally the only reason
I see for separate partitions is to make backups quicker and easier. One
partition for Windows and programs, another for data. It is senseless to
separate Windows and programs as they are intertwined. You generally can't
restore one without the other. Given the size of your hard drive I would
allocate 30 - 40 GB for Windows and programs and the rest for data. I am
sure many will disagree and even have convincing arguments as to why their
scheme is best. In the end you'll have to decide for yourself. All I can
tell you is you'll regret it when you run out of room for Windows.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

RLP wrote:
Thank you all for your responses, but I received 3 different
suggestions and am still left with the decision.
Let me ask this question: When I install other software/ programs,
should they go onto the "boot disc" partition or another drive
partition without the OS on it?
"Squire" wrote:

Suggested sizes,

1st partition - 10 gb for XP
2nd partition - 20 gb for added programs and files
3rd partition - leave the balance open to install Vista beta version
or other programs to play with.

You will probably end up with a dual boot menu when you install
another OS, after XP is installed.

--
Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog

"RLP" <RLP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I AM REFORMATTING A 250 GIG HD AND WANT TO PARTITION FOR EXISTING
xP PRO AND
FUTURE DUAL BOOT WITH VISTA. HOW BIG SHOULD EACH PARTITION BE AND
WHICH SHOULD COME FIRST.
eg: "C"= Xp pro = xx mb. partition
"D"= 200 gb for file downloads
"E" = Vista (future)= xx mb partition