Re: Repair is asking for Admin Pasword. There is none on computer

onemulligan wrote:
Something happened and I can't start the computer. Says Windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. I try to get to the repair option but it asks for a Admin Password. There is no password on this computer. What can I do to fix this so I can do the repair? Thank you

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

The password being requested is that of the built-in
_Administrator_ account, not the password for any other administrative
user accounts that the computer's owner may have created. Unless the
owner deliberately set the Administrator's password via the Management
Console (_not_ the Control Panel), it's probably still blank. WinXP
Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's password during
installation, but WinXP Home doesn't.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

  • Re: registry error
    ... Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ... I dont have the original disk with windows xp as it came pre-installed. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: Fedora Core 1 1st CD problem
    ... The first is corrupt, but since I got them from ... Just in case you might need a bit of help burning the CD; ... -- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: My computer doesnt boot
    ... >> installs WinXP over the top of the existing installation. ... > ftdisk.sys I get a message saying dmio.sys is corrupt. ... WinXP installation CD. ... then use the Repair option I mentioned above. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: wierd dpkg error, only on one package
    ... Not a corrupt download ... > but a subtly broken package I think. ... little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Word 2003 crashes randomly
    ... and Repair option. ... From the information you have given, it is the numbering ... you are using that is corrupt. ... (and uninstalled it, deleted the Data folder, renamed the Normal.dot) ...