Re: Wipe it all clean!

David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "John McGaw" <nowhere@xxxxxx>

| Thief_ wrote:

I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?

WinXPSP1

| One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other | programs that do similar things. | | John McGaw | http://johnmcgaw.com | [Knoxville, TN, USA]

If he wipes the computer of all data (not just personal data) he leaves him self open to
prosecution for destroying company property and/or company software.

Never store personal data on a work computer.
But, if you must, keep it in just one foldera and delete that data only !

I never suggested that he wipe the computer of all data despite his subject of "Wipe it all clean!". I simply gave him a source for a free program which can erase data in a variety of different ways up to and beyond current government standards. If he wants to erase one file the program will do that. If he wants to erase a directory it will do that. If he wants to wipe unused space it will do that. The program will certainly allow the cration of a "boot and nuke" floppy but nobody is forced to use that option.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

  • Re: Q for computer experts / network admins
    ... standalone, to wipe the drive. ... about is overwriting the drive numerous times with a very large ... writes is a secure erase, but the writes are not usually random, there ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: free OS instead of windows?
    ... ERASER, which runs from a floppy and wipes everything on the ... Eraser - Free secure data erase tool to wipe files on your ... Eraser is a secure data removal tool, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Shred forever?
    ... that there was a huge redundancy on the disk surfaces. ... Ie, one wipe would ... There problem is mechanical tolerance, you have to position the head exactly above the previous write to erase all of it, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Shred forever?
    ... that there was a huge redundancy on the disk surfaces. ... Ie, one wipe would ... is that modern disks require only one rewrite to erase past info. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Automatic words during a search
    ... My son recently took my work computer on a trip. ... function or erase the list. ...