Re: Wipe it all clean!

David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "John McGaw" <nowhere@xxxxxx>

| Thief_ wrote:

I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?

WinXPSP1

| One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other | programs that do similar things. | | John McGaw | http://johnmcgaw.com | [Knoxville, TN, USA]

If he wipes the computer of all data (not just personal data) he leaves him self open to
prosecution for destroying company property and/or company software.

Never store personal data on a work computer.
But, if you must, keep it in just one foldera and delete that data only !

I never suggested that he wipe the computer of all data despite his subject of "Wipe it all clean!". I simply gave him a source for a free program which can erase data in a variety of different ways up to and beyond current government standards. If he wants to erase one file the program will do that. If he wants to erase a directory it will do that. If he wants to wipe unused space it will do that. The program will certainly allow the cration of a "boot and nuke" floppy but nobody is forced to use that option.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
.