Re: Problem with emptying the recycle bin

king_bob wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005:

   Well, I tried your advice, and I ran into an old friend.  I am talking
about "dc177."  I opened cmd and typed your code, and got, "
C:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dc177.mpg - Acess is denied."  Not sure what that means,
only that it appears that the Dc177 file might be the cause of my troubles.
I searched for the dc177.mpg file, (I am assuming it is a movie because of
the .mpg?) and got nothing.

Hi king_bob

Thanks for your continued support.

You are very welcome. And I want to beat that bin now, LOL.

Let's try this way:

[1] Open a Command window and shut down any other running programs. Ctrl-Alt-Del to open the Task Manager.

[2] In Task Manager look on the Processes tab and select Explorer.exe, Click on the End Process button. (Your desktop and taskbar will disappear and you'll be left with just Task Manager and the Command window. Don't panic!) Leave Task Manager open and return to the Command window.

[3] Now try the command again: at the prompt type:
rd /s /q C:\Recycler <enter>
type: exit <enter> to close the Command window.

[4] Go back to Task Manager and on the Applications tab click the button for New Task. In the box that pops up type: Explorer <OK>. Your desktop should return to normal. Close Task Manager and reboot.

[5] When you return to Windows don't worry if the bin icon still shows full. Put a test file in the bin and then right-click to empty it. Hopefully now it should all be working.

Please let us know how you get on with this, king_bob. I really hope it works for you.

--
Nightowl

  • Re: Renamed C:/RECYCLER Folder-Cant see files in there
    ... How I can get my Recycle bin back to work? ... I don't really understand what you mean about making a shortcut to another folder, but from the subject of your message I gather you renamed the folder in your recycle bin and now when you try to change the name back it isn't working? ... Open a Command window and shut down any other running programs. ... In Task Manager look on the Processes tab and select Explorer.exe. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder stuck in recycle bin
    ... There is a hidden file in the Recycler folder which keeps track of original file names and locations, ... Sometimes it can get confused or corrupted and shows something as still being in the Recycle Bin when it really isn't. ... Open a Command window and shut down any other running programs. ... In Task Manager look on the Processes tab and select Explorer.exe, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Full Recycle bin that is really empty
    ... icon still showing when you log back in; just delete a test file then ... Open a Command window and shut down any other running programs. ... In Task Manager look on the Processes tab and select Explorer.exe, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RECYCLE BIN
    ... In Task Manager look on the Processes tab and select Explorer.exe, ... exit to close the Command window. ... Put a test file in the bin and then right-click to empty it. ...
  • Re: Access to folder denied!!
    ... I think it'd be much easier to try to delete them from a Command window. ... If you get an error message that access is denied or the file is in use, ... In its Processes tab, highlight explorer.exe and click on End Process. ... *Leave Task Manager open* while you return to the Command window. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)