Re: Outlook Express hangs on connecting

Recent NIS (and, dare I say, NAV) updates have created a massive amount of problems for many users, Neil.

YW.  /Hopefully/ you've kept Email Protection disabled.
--
~PA Bear

Neil UK wrote:
I said I would get back to you: I switched off the email scanning. I also
attempted to use your advice on creating a new identity. Frankly, without
your expertise, that exercise created such confusion that I found it
necessary to use System Restore to go back to yesterday.

Ultimately, the monthly Windows Update was downloaded and installed. After
rebooting I had no problems with email connecting hang.

Then I checked Norton Live Update and found that the security downloads
that I had installed previously were now (because of System Restore, I
presume) back in space waiting to be downloaded and installed a second
time. So I did, and then rebooted and then the email system hung on
Connecting.

So I bit the bullet and uninstalled NIS 2005, plus Live Update plus Norton
Security Centre. I then spent a long time reinstalling NIS 2005, followed
by downloading 38MB of general updates, which were also installed. After a
reboot, there was no problem. Everything worked fine.

My regards and thanks to all who answered this thread.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> 1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides
> no additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:
>
> <paste>
> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus
> Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive,
> including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another
> layer on top of this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the
> maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate
> regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
> </paste>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
>
> 2. Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default
> Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
> (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
> messages from the old Identity before deleting it
> (File>Identities>Manage Identities).
>
> To avoid such corruption in future:
>
> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
> manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>
> Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
> Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
>
> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>
> Neil UK wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > I am operating a Sony Vaio laptop XP SP2. Recently, whenever I have
> > downloaded anything that requires the system to be rebooted, I find
> > afterwaards on attempting to open Outlook Express that the application
> > hangs on "Connecting". The only way I have found to correct this is to
> > use System Restore back one or two days. Naturally this sometimes
> > defeats the object if the download was, for instance, a Windows
> > update, which is removed from the system after the restoration.
> > Besides which one cannot spend all one's time restoring the system.
> >
> > If anyone can advise me how to address this issue, I should be most
> > grateful.

  • Re: disc drive c is low...17mb
    ... disapeared...dont know if one of the downloads has done it... ... of the downloads i had sent popups with the info).but tried system restore ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the ...
  • Re: Sharon Schambers new site. Free stuff.
    ... Thanks Neil. ... I mean, I actually do web site design and frankly, Neil's kind of lucky ... that he's getting the feedback - not so favorable or otherwise. ... Usually, when people encounter too big of downloads, faulty links, etc, ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Elitum DyFuca n-Case
    ... | I uninstalled SP2 and the machine is running back to speed..I did the ... | downloads as previous post,,, trend and stinger...the malwares elitum DyFuCa ... Using Adaware SE, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete ... Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences, ...
  • Re: Error saving html file
    ... Vista prohibits writing files IN THE ROOT, but not in FOLDERS under the root. ... all the downloads that had occurred since the last system restore. ...
  • Re: System Restore Erractic
    ... > on the site you referred me to and System Restore seems ... >>> all configurations, booting each time. ... >>> installation process and that causes the installation ... >>> of the recent downloads, Installer 3.1 and one of the ...