Re: invalid boot.ini

You need to set your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive as first or second boot device
in the BIOS.

1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For
information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or
contact your computer manufacturer.
"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you
start your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:bobala03.1sl0do@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
bobala03 <bobala03.1sl0do@xxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel Wrote:
>> "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you
>> start your computer
>> http://tinyurl.com/b6wy
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:bobala03.1sj5pn@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>> bobala03 bobala03.1sj5pn@xxxxxxxxxxxx hunted and pecked:-
>> My computer shut down while I was away and now I receive the "invalid
>> boot.ini" message when I try to fire it up. The big problem is that
>> it
>> keeps recycling trying to load Windows - to the error message - to
>> the
>> windows help page for safe mode, last known good config, etc page. I
>> have tried to break into DOS with the idea that I should be able to
>> repair from there but no combination of keys seems to work. Tried
>> booting from the xp disc and that doesnt work either. Any help would
>> be
>> VERY much appreciated !!!
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

>> --
>> bobala03-
>
> Thanks for the lead but it doesnt work. When I try to boot from the cd
> or an external hd with windows it doesnt recognize either source and
> just continues the round robin process of trying to boot and failing-
> any other suggestions?? I was thinking that the hard drive itself may
> be bad- does that make sense??
>

> --
> bobala03

  • RE: Longhorn Transformation Pack
    ... > starting Windows I was presented with the ntoskrnl failed to load error. ... > Luckily I had an RC of x64 on the machine so I could boot that to check out ... > 1) Insert the Windows XP CD that came with your computer into your CD-ROM ... > 2) Either turn on or reboot your machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Boot fail -- missing file
    ... I cannot get the box to bootup or access the CD-ROM. ... I have change the boot order to make the CD prime. ... If you are using Windows XP Home ... 9- Then type bootcfg /rebuild ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: system32config problem
    ... Sounds like you're not booting the CD-Rom. ... cmos setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence. ... To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Two questions
    ... As for the CD-ROM drive, I should have mentioned that I had tried it in my ... > [boot loader] ... make a backup of the existing. ... >> Microsoft Windows XP Home ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Corrupt or missing file
    ... I boot from the CD-ROM I cannot access the recovery console screen. ... > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt ... > lights on the keyboard flash during POST routine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)