Re: cipher /w:C:

"Donald Shelton" <DonaldShelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:B5B99870-A87B-4E20-9B06-B1C3BBCA1D28@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I certainly appreciate your efforts in helping me to solve the problem
>
> Currently I have asked numerous experts, but have not found a solution
>
> Leave it to me to be the one with the unsolvable problem!!!
>
> Don

Let us know if you find a fix. While I have seen the problem in the past I
can't duplicte it now.

Kerry

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >I think you didn't have a closer look.The second link also tells the
>> >syntax
>> >of the /w switch
>> > Open the the second link,you will get a table where all tasks and
>> > parameters for the Cipher command has been listed.Scroll down the table
>> > you will find a last option:-"Display all of the options available with
>> > cipher. /?"
>> > If you open the command prompt window and put the above command what
>> > does
>> > it show?Doesn't it show [/w ] option?
>> > Before comment anything check it the whole thing.
>> > "access denied" message may be due to various factors but he didn't
>> > write
>> > in detail regarding other things,so I didn't mention that aspect.In any
>> > case:
>> > see:-
>> > Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx
>> >
>> > In the above article various possibilities mentioned as far as "access
>> > denied" message is concerned.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > ssg MS-MVP
>> >

>> Let me preface this by saying your help on these newsgroups is much
>> appreciated. You help a lot more people than I do. In this case it seemed
>> you just posted a couple of links without looking to see if they had any
>> bearing on the problem. The cipher /w command is very poorly documented.
>> It
>> sometimes seems to fail with the "access denied" message. This, on the
>> surface, appears to have nothing to do with the other cipher switches and
>> why they sometimes receive that error. An exhaustive google search and
>> searching Microsoft gets some hits on the problem but no solution. The XP
>> documentation says:
>>
>> /w removes data from portions of the volume it can access and have not
>> been
>> allocated to files or directories. It does not lock the drive, so other
>> programs can obtain space on the drive, which cipher cannot erase.
>> Because
>> this option writes to a large portion of the hard volume, it might take a
>> long time to complete and should only be used when necessary.
>>
>> This seems to indicate that it doesn't actually access any files, only
>> space
>> that has been de-allocated. If the space has been de-allocated why would
>> access be denied, especially logged in as administrator? I have tried to
>> duplicate the problem but have had no success. I have seen the problem on
>> one computer but was unable to solve it, thus my interest.
>>
>> Kerry

  • Re: Command Line Encrypt / Decrypt for Win32 and *nix?
    ... Cipher is only on Windows 2000/XP Pro/Server 2003. ... > Cipher is the command line tool for encryption and decryption on Windows ... >> Looking for any command line tool that will do simple file encryption ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: find all encrypted folders?
    ... > Is there a way to search for all encrypted folders in the windows ... There is a command line tool "cipher" that will do this. ...
  • Re: Cant Read CDs made on W-98
    ... >>Aha. ... An application, once installed on a Windows PC, has so ... many registry entries and portions of it installed in different system ... directories that it's nearly impossible to cipher. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • RE: re-setting boot partition
    ... Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console ... For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade)
  • RE: Win2000 Upgrade to SP3 Express Setup error.
    ... Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ... you cannot copy a file from the local hard disk to a floppy disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade)