Re: 16 bit problem

From: <blarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| I open a program and get the following message:
|
| "C:/ windows/system/autoexec.net The system file is not suitable for
| running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows application."
|
| I installed a fix for the 16 bit and the program opended. The next
| time I booted up and went to use the program I got the same message.
| I reinsalled the fix, it worked again. Next time I booted up the same
| problem happened.
|
| Is there a way to permanently fix this problem? I like the program
| and it works well for me.
|
| Thanks.

AUTOEXEC.NT Fix Method 1:
copy; c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt
c:\windows\system32

AUTOEXEC.NT FIX Method 2:
Go to; Start --> Run
enter; cmd.exe

{ assuming the WinXP CDROM disk is in drive "D:" }
In the Command Prompt enter...
expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %windir%\system32\autoexec.nt

Since there are many forms of malware that will cause this kind of problem with AUTOEXEC.NT,
please perform the following...

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

1) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End

Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
Direct URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

2) Download and install Ad-aware SE
(free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions and then exit the software.

3) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
when you get to the menu dhoose [1] so you can boot into Safe Mode.

4) Disable System Restore

5) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.

6) Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a full scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

7) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a final scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

8) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),

9) Reboot your PC.

10) Create a new Restore point

* * Please report back your results * *

--