Re: XP unable to load "personal settings"

Hi,

Sounds like your user profile was corrupted. If this is the case, there is
little you can do to recover it. Instead, logon as administrator and create
a new profile for yourself. Then copy the old profile's data into it using
the procedure outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jany Doe" <JanyDoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Friday night I got "frozen" out of the MSN gaming zone. My desktop was
> completely locked. No access to the task manager, unable to shut down.
> The
> boot literally paralyzed my system. Upon reboot the usual "bad shutdown
> previously" that I expected to so did not happen. The system went through
> the post quite happily. The "Welcome" screen came up. I logged in with my
> password and got the appropriate "please wait... loading personal
> settings"
> and there it sits forevermore. Somehow in that incident it seems the
> personal settings have lost their way. And I am unable to proceed from
> that
> "Please wait...">
> I have gone in in "safe mode" and tried restoring to last good
> configuration
> but that made no difference (probably because the OS boots quite
> happily).
> I then tried "system restore" to two days previously but same response. I
> remain "please wait...".
> Does anyone have any suggestions or understanding of how I can retrieve my
> personal settings and steer XP (Pro) in the right direction?
> I also tried logging in as one of the other users on my computer but same
> thing. It just hangs under "loading personal settings"...
> Interestingly I am not the only one with this type of problem after
> Friday.
> Spoke to one of the +'s. She can't boot up her system at all since being
> booted Friday.
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

  • Re: logging back into windows after deleting account, by accident
    ... Boot to Safe Mode and log on as Administrator. ... How To Create a Custom Default User Profile ... Can I do it from my laptop, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot log in locally
    ... Documents and Settings\Default User profile got wiped. ... Maybe something happened to file permissions. ... > the root folder, documents and settings folder, and system folder all of ... If you can boot into Recovery Console [probably ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Seek Help on a folder that is password Protected
    ... In XP Home version, you will need to boot the system into Safe Mode, and log on with an Administrator account, to take ownership of the files and folders. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... Here is the Microsoft Reference for transferring programs and settings to a new user profile. ...
  • Re: Windows log-on screen
    ... on my user profile to get it to continue loading and start. ... Next time you boot, ... you will go straight to that account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: In light of what has happened with the theft of the VA laptop, what are the "best practices" for
    ... Make sure encryption is enabled, ... on a floppy disk or usb key; the system wont boot to Windows without ... tcgina puts the entire user profile into a ... tctemp encrypts the entire page file, which, is clearly a good idea. ...
    (Security-Basics)