Re: Windows xp home

From: Dan (spamyou_at_user.nec)
Date: 02/08/05

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:19:22 -0700

So with 98SE all beefed up in security with third party products, then you
still think XP (NT code based) is more secure, Ron?

: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
:
: >I know that 98SE is more secure since it is based on 9x source code and is
: >now mostly ignored by hackers since they are mainly targetting XP PRO. and
: >have the NT source code in their sites. 98, 98SE and even ME (I do not
like
: >Millenium) all are based on 9x which has its roots in MS-DOS and NT does
not
: >have a true maintenance operating system and Microsoft needs to have a
: >seperate NT underlying maintenance operating system and not rely on an
: >emulator of MS-DOS since MS-DOS's true successor was the 9x source code
which
: >reached the height of its glory with 98 Second Edition and unfortunately
: >Microsoft rushed out Millenium and so it was flawed and I am really glad
that
: >Microsoft is taking their time with Longhorn and I hope it is awesome.
: >
:
: Windows 98 is in no way *more* secure than Windows XP. It may give
: you a false sense of security because not so many scumbags are
: targetting it these days but it is still highly vulnerable and just as
: soon as Windows XP gets a bit tougher to penetrate you could see
: renewed assaults aimed at the 9x products.
:
:
: Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
: --
: Microsoft MVP
: On-Line Help Computer Service
: http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
:
: "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Religion... was RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
    ... there is no A/V software for Linux that protects ... Of course, many of them do run A/V software, but it's to protect Windows ... In today's environment, software *must* be secure first, with usability added ... Microsoft systems take the opposite approach, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Security and the User experience
    ... just one secure token. ... Microsoft, Apple, *nix can say all they like, but the consumer will simply ... implement any security and/or just have no clue about security on their PC. ... The OS will then query the authority whenever ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... - if a program that starts secure does not change then chances are that it remains secure ... Windows security has been breached, therefore there's no reason to believe that the problem can get worse on Linux, giving time and inclination. ... Personally, I think that position is unfair and does not take into consideration the simple fact that Microsoft made the industry, ... having a spec and publishing a spec are different notions. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: IIS issues? OWA?
    ... In steps one after you uncheck Require secure channel and Require ... Right click Exchange under Default Web Site and select Properties. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [announcement] SYSAPI and SYSSVC for Windows
    ... are 3D GUI objects a Microsoft invention? ... copies to circumvent payment is a nice thing to do, but I think "secure" ... :> "trusted" applications like media player, real player, and its ilk or not ... I don't think small compiler companies will always use dongles. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)