Re: Are there advantages of Linux over XP Pro.?

From: Rush (thecatch_at_bythedrop.com)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:54:37 -0700

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:22:11 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Excuse my ignorance but what does KDE mean? The Red
> Hat Fedora Core 3 system looks especially interesting. Can you order a cd
> with it? I would be interesting in creating a seperate partition on my
> dual-boot 98SE/XP PRO machine for a copy of Linux. As I grow more
> comfortable with technology and customizing it; I have found that I would
> like to experiment more and move onto different operating systems so I can
> get a feel for them. This also allows me to learn more about Microsoft
> alternatives since although Microsoft products are usually great, they can be
> very expensive. I really appreciate your reply and look forward to creating
> a seperate partition on my D:\ drive for Linux. Please keep in touch via
> this newsgroup and on this thread. Have a wonderful day!
>
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> : In article <uND5j#iAFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, spamyou@user.nec
> : says...
> : > Thank you, I am not a troll and have been a user of the 98 general
> newsgroup
> : > with Gary S. Terhune, MVP for a long time. I am much more wary of this
> group
> : > because overall I find that some people are just plain mean in this group
> : > unlike the 98 general newsgroup where courtesy rules.
> :
> : Great to have you here then. I'm more than willing to discuss my
> : migration and experimentation with Linux. I've been a windows user,
> : programmer, and systems/network designer for a LONG TIME. As the world
> : turns I've started testing the latest Linux distro's and trying to pick
> : one for two environments - 1 = Home User that doesn't need Windows based
> : games or a managed office computer, also not needing games, and 2 = a
> : small file server with RAID and Backup storage with the easy addition of
> : email and web services if needed.
> :
> : I'm not exactly liked in the Mandrake group, since I'm not a Windows
> : hater and am actually only a noob when it comes to Linux, but here's
> : what I've experienced in learning/testing Linux:
> :
> : SUSE 9.1 Personal - Test systems are as follows:
> : 1 unit - Laptop, p3/600, D-Link NIC, 512MB RAM
> : 3 units - Compaq ML350 Dual P3/1ghz, SCSI, IDE, 2GB RAM
> :
> : Mandrake 10.1 Official - Test systems are as follows:
> : 1 unit - Laptop, p3/600, D-Link NIC, 512MB RAM
> : 3 units - Compaq ML350 Dual P3/1ghz, SCSI, IDE, 2GB RAM
> : 1 unit - Asus PC-DL Dual Xeon, IDE, 2GB
> :
> : Red Hat Fedora Core 3 - Test systems are as follows:
> : 1 unit - Laptop, p3/600, D-Link NIC, 512MB RAM
> : 3 units - Compaq ML350 Dual P3/1ghz, SCSI, IDE, 2GB RAM
> : 1 unit - Asus PC-DL Dual Xeon, IDE, 2GB
> :
> : The Suse install was painless, it worked out of the ISO and didn't have
> [...]

If you have a broadband connection, you can download Fedora Core 3 ISOs
(FC3) here: http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

I haven't set up a dual boot in a while, but previous installs of
Redhat/Fedora detected Windows just fine and set up the install on its own
partition just fine. GRUB and LILO are the boot loaders that will make it
easy for you to select if you want to boot into Windows or Linux.

KDE and GNOME are desktop environments. I think it comes down to personal
preference, but I'm used to GNOME and have stuck with it, though some
prefer KDE.

Rush
http://www.bythedrop.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Are there advantages of Linux over XP Pro.?
    ... Excuse my ignorance but what does KDE mean? ... dual-boot 98SE/XP PRO machine for a copy of Linux. ... small file server with RAID and Backup storage with the easy addition of ... The Mandrake 10.1 install was also painless, but the GUI would not run. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I think there is a setting in KDE Control Center somewhere that let's ... frustrating because there are some really nice features in Linux. ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Why is Linux so slow?
    ... > I chose a kde system because from what I have read Suse seems to favor ... > Displaying graphics seems to be a problem for Linux because it is very ... No problems, install went smoothly, auto configured all the network settings ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... >serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ... >> installed, I need to know kernel info, KDE vs GNU, etc. ... My experience with Windows has taught me never to try ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: linux recommendation
    ... > Could someone recommend a linux which satisifes the following criteria: ... > Can install on a machine with XP already there. ... > Hopefully doesnt need a seperate partition. ... If you drop the "Hopefully doesnt need a seperate partition.", ...
    (alt.linux)