Re: Deleted Quick Launch Icon for Volume Control

From: Kelly (
Date: 12/05/04

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:28:24 -0600

There has never been a volume control icon in Quick Launch. For the
Notification Area:

Speaker Icon is Missing:

Go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. On the Volume Tab under
Device Volume, put a check in the box that reads: Place volume icon in the

If that has been tried:

Place your XP CD in then go to Start/Run and type in:
EXPAND -R X:\I386\powrprof.dl_ C:\Windows\System32

Once done: Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 stobject.dll

If the above hasn't helped and you have received this error:

Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume
Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
Programs in Control Panel.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
do this, follow these steps:

Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
CD \I386

Then use the expand command:
expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery

Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon

Volume Icon Is Displayed Incorrectly in the Notification Area After the
Computer Resumes from Standby;en-us;828694&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting the Notification Area

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)
Troubleshooting Windows XP