Re: How to password protect folder?

From: NobodyMan (none_at_none.net)
Date: 10/30/04

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:02:02 -0400

Why would you need to create new users or roles? The users you have
created already exist; all you have to do is add them to the access
list for the share in question and assign what permissions you want
them to have (takes about two seconds), and remove anybody from the
list that you don't want to give access to.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:21:21 -0400, "Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote:

>I don't want to create new users or roles. What is a good third party
>program for this?
>
>Thanks,
>Brett
>
>"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>> You cannot password protect individual folders in XP.But access can be
>> restricted by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.
>> In case of XP Professional: Open Windows Explorer> Tools>Folder
>> Options>View and uncheck
>> Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or
>> file and select Properties> Security
>> tab> assign or deny permissions based on user name or user
>> group membership.
>>
>> But in XP Home by default, you can only make files and folders under My
>> Documents "private">right clicking a folder or file>
>> Properties>Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders boot in
>> Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator
>> account.Now you will find the Security tab in Properties, and you
>> can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.
>>
>> see:-
>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
>> Windows
>> XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>>
>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
>> Folders
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
>>
>> HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>> pronetworks.org
>>

>> Brett wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using XP Pro with NTFS. How do I password protect a single folder
>>> that is on the root?
>>>
>>> My user is an adminstrator and I want to password protect under that
>>> user.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brett

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Passwords on Folders
    ... > you to use passwords on folders? ... Windows NT/2000/XP do not natively let you set passwords on folders. ... Windows under which those permissions were defined. ... use NTFS on your hard drives so you can then EFS ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Password Protect Folder
    ... Then when you assign the permissions, you go to Task Manager, Users and log the user out. ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display ... >> You cannot password protect individual folders in XP. ... You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files. ...
  • Re: EMERGENCY: Files lost
    ... Windows XP Home Edition, with SP2. ... or other folders and files at that level. ... Administrator, I do have normal access to all files and folders. ... You now need to edit the permissions of every file (step 6 on my page. ...
  • Re: File Sharing
    ... Windows XP uses the NTFS file system to set permissions for who can access what files and folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NTFS Security Question.
    ... A subordinate object DOES not inherit the PARENT perms (in ... will assume "Nebulous" permissions that refer to the LINK ... The trick is to PROPOGATE to all FILES (not Folders and Files - that would ... Since Windows 2000 deny NTFS permission does not work ...