Re: XP Freezes on Preparing Installation

From: RJK (notatospam_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/28/04

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:02:07 +0100

Barring unhappy hardware problems, these you MUST rule out first - I've
worked on three hard disks recently that aquired corruption on them that
would NOT clear by full formatting. In each case, (one was a Maxtor 80gb,
one was a Seagate 80gb, and the other was a Western Digital 40gb), I had to
use the hard disk manufacturers "zero-fill" utility to clear the drive.
After zero-filling / partitioning and formatting all was LOVELY !

regards, Richard

"chrisw" <cwilliams95@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> If anyone can offer any help or advice on this it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I'm trying to install xp on a new PC but it stops on 'Preparing
> Installation'
>
> There is no Virus software on this PC as it is brand new so that rules
> out the help from Microsoft.
>
> If you install from the CD boot up disk it just hangs after the 1st
> screen (just before F8 Agreement) or it may sometimes get past the
> agreement then freeze on 'loading information file setupp.ini' (setupp
> not setup).
>
> Funnily enough Windows 2000 does exactly the same thing.
>
> I tried to install 98 to see what would happen and it worked fine. I
> then tried to upgrade to XP from Windows and it lets me enter in the
> serial number, analyzes the pc, copies the setup files then reboots.
>
> When the setup screen appears it stops after about 4 seconds on
> Preparing Installation.
>
> I have tried changing every hardward component (except motherboard)
> and it makes no difference (different VGA card gave about another
> second). The fact that Windows 98 installs ok suggests that there
> isn't a hardware conflict.
>
> I have updated the BIOS to the latest version but no joy.
>
> The motherboard is an Nvidia- nforce M7NCD.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why XP and 2000 would not install?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • TuxOS (Debian-Based)
    ... separate matter, whereupon the hardware detection ... tools (Linux, Windows, DOS, whatever) meant specifically ... or Debian or TuxOS. ... For a distro that wants to install ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Crashes and the Blue Screen of Death!
    ... but the most common cause is hardware failure. ... The most common cause of this is hardware memory corruption. ... are listed on the Windows 2000 Hardware Compatibility List. ... recommended that all users install them as they become available. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Xhrmy.exe
    ... > You need to clean your system of this infestation and then take measures ... > known issues as well as your interface with your hardware is as good as it ... > What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 ...
  • Re: Windows XP SP2 Freezes Using Internet
    ... I've never heard of making the machine hang in this manner! ... caused the hang windows may not see this key sequence. ... > never added a single piece of internal hardware. ... >> able to use Windows update on a clean install; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)