Re: New comp. Got infected before SP2 installed.

From: Bob Huntley (bob.huntley.NOSPAM_at_btinternet.com)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:38:08 +0000 (UTC)

I went through that nausea recently - I got the Sasser virus before the MS
fixes has a chance to download and install!.

I reformatted the disk, did another clean install of XP - and this time
enabled the firewall before attempting to connect to the Internet to
download the MS big fixes and Norton AV definition updates. Worked that
time.

PS - I strongly recommend that you use Drive Image, Norton Ghost or
whatever - makes it much easier to start again if you back up a copy of the
C drive before trying to use the internet. I learnt my lesson and did it the
second time, but the firewall was good enough so I didn't need to use the
backed up copy.