Re: New comp. Got infected before SP2 installed.

From: Bob Huntley (bob.huntley.NOSPAM_at_btinternet.com)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:38:08 +0000 (UTC)

I went through that nausea recently - I got the Sasser virus before the MS
fixes has a chance to download and install!.

I reformatted the disk, did another clean install of XP - and this time
enabled the firewall before attempting to connect to the Internet to
download the MS big fixes and Norton AV definition updates. Worked that
time.

PS - I strongly recommend that you use Drive Image, Norton Ghost or
whatever - makes it much easier to start again if you back up a copy of the
C drive before trying to use the internet. I learnt my lesson and did it the
second time, but the firewall was good enough so I didn't need to use the
backed up copy.

"Marcus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The technical support phone line closed a few hours ago
> for the weekend and these newgroups have been unbelievably
> helpful before :)
>
> I just got a new computer with Windows XP. I also just got
> broadband. I had waited to connect to the internet until
> broadband arrived so Windows Update would work faster.
> I connected to the internet. Everything running fine.
>
> I have Norton on my computer, but every time i ever tried
> to do the live update, it would say it couldnt connect.
> www.systemac.com would not work on internet explorer
>
> I run windows update.
>
> A few critical updates. Im downloading and Send Receive
> ratio is about 1:4 or so. At about 52% the windows update
> seems to stall. And im fully uploading. 15 mins later. Ive
> uploaded 40 megs to 17 meg download....
>
> I load up taskmanager. I spot wuamgrd.exe, google it,
> comes up as a probable virus. I end it, but windows update
> doenst resume.
>
> Shut down, restart.
>
> This time i end the wuamgrd.exe before connecting to
> internet. Run Update. Works. Still uploading though, but
> it finishes. Restart.
>
> End wuamgrd.exe, connect to internet. Im still uploading
> at maximum... so i download Kerio's firewall. Install.
>
> 4 programs seem desperate to communicate with internet:
> wuamgrd.exe
> wmmon32.exe
> SPOOLSVD32.exe
> sysentry32.exe
> (as far as i can remember)
>
> Run Update again. Download and install SP2.
>
> Restart.
>
> I allowed Internet explorer to be an exception on the
> Windows Firewall that got installed after SP2. And i
> disabled the Kerio one.
>
> My problems are these:
> 1) I cannot access ANYTHING online. Explorer seems to try
> to access a whole host of similar urls (www.WHATEVER.net
> www.WHATEVER.com.net etc) but nothing works. I am
> accessing these newsgroups from another computer.
>
> 2)I cannot update the antivirus software so i cannot
> detect what the viruses on my computer are.
>
> 3)I did all this from a new computer with a clean windows
> XP. I just spent my entire day trying to get this computer
> to work. Im frustrated that its not, and i cant
> immediately see how to fix this. Technical support is
> closed until Monday, but when i ran them up before
> regarding update pausing, the guy didnt have a clue.
>
> Thank you all for bothering to read all of this, and I
> thank you all too if you can provide any help :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Best freeware available?
    ... > download it all the way and is stuck somewhere in the middle. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files and make sure the ... install a third-party application and configure/maintain it. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update
    ... I attempted to load the latest Windows update software and get the ... I'll just manually download updates. ... Note that you only need to uninstall the interferer to do the update's install phase. ... stems from an automatic download of Microsoft Compression ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: error 80070424 windows update VISTA
    ... [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates] ... Windows Update history shows that all Microsoft Updates (Office, ... can download the latest WUA in order to install it manually. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: KB955428 update patch for microsoft woks 8
    ... kept getting Windows Update refusing to install. ... Windows Update downloaded but could not install the Works8 update. ... Download the file KB955428_en-US.cab. ... Once you have downloaded it to your desktop, double-click the icon on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Defragmenter not installed Error
    ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here: ... Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications. ...