Re: SP 2--anti virus

From: Testy (fraudbuster_at_canoemail.com)
Date: 08/13/04

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:16:15 -0400

Agreed the whole Security Center thing is redundant.

Testy

> In news:OLdyfsUgEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> typed:
>
>> If you have NAV 2004, when you use Live Update it will apply a patch
>> that will enable Security Center to see NAV. I don't believe Symantec
>> supports any earlier versions of NAV with this update. However, that
>> doesn't mean your antivirus isn't working - only that Security Center
>> doesn't identify it. Turn off the Security Center Alert for virus
>> protection and keep track of your definition subscription yourself.
>

> As far as I'm concerned, this anti-virus monitoring of SP2 is pretty much
> a silly feature anyway. It's no improvement to be able to see that virus
> definitions are out of date by looking in the Security Center, as opposed
> to looking at NAV (or whatever product you use) itself.
>
> I'm running NAV 2003, so I have Virus Protection set to "Not Monitored" in
> the Security Center. I can't see that this "lack" hurts me in any way.
>
> --
> Please reply to the newsgroup

---

  • Re: Norton AntiVirus
    ... >I find that interesting since I have NAV 2003, did the live update BEFORE ... >installing SP2 as instructed on the Symantec website, and the Security ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Backdoor
    ... >states that it is unable to eliminate the virus. ... >to do a LIVE UPDATE to update the definitions and that ... Rerun NAV. ... Run Stinger ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: SP 2--anti virus
    ... > that will enable Security Center to see NAV. ... > supports any earlier versions of NAV with this update. ... this anti-virus monitoring of SP2 is ... able to see that virus definitions are out of date by looking in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • [NT] Various Vulnerabilities in Norton Anti-Virus 2002
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Edvice recently tested NAV 2002's ability to detect viruses in incoming ... formats in some instances causes Norton AntiVirus 2002 to prematurely ... to exclude the file from being scanned. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • svchost
    ... Try http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger and download stinger.. ... >it is unable to eliminate the virus. ... >to do a LIVE UPDATE to update the definitions and that ... Rerun NAV. ...