Re: back up problems

From: Alex Nichol (alexn.mvpdts_at_ntlworld.delete.com)
Date: 07/31/04

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:39:37 +0100

farmboy wrote:

>I have just installed ntback for xp home. when I get to screen to start back up, it comes up with (the backup file name could not be used. please ensure that it is a valid file path and that you have sufficient acess)
>Path name is D:\backup 30-07-04.
>I have admin access. I am trying to back up to a DVD+R disc.

NTBackup does not work with CD/DVD. It is purely tape oriented, and I
think was included just for old NT users bringing their tapes forward.
You can make a backup with it onto Hard disk and then copy that to DVD,
or you can install one of the 'Packet writing' burning packages , Direct
CD/InCD/DLA which will allow it to use such a disk as output medium,
but it will not 'span' over a series. Better look for a third party
solution.

Bournemouth, U.K.  Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)