Re: Question on profiles in Windows XP and running Spyware, Virus, Registry checking programs?

From: Joe Donaldson (tryitoz_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/15/04

Date: 15 Jul 2004 12:34:38 -0700

Great appreciate it.
Now I need to solve this one problem with a BHO trying to change the
Home Page and it keeps giving me a pop-up. Someone said to run
Hijackthis to get a lob.
I have run all spyware programs, BHO blockers, Norton stuff and
registry insertion programs I know of.

Thanks
Joe

Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message news:<OagbUcmaEHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Joe Donaldson wrote:
>
> > Thanks for some basic help on a neighbors computer.
> >
> > I worked on a PC today that needed Norton Installed and Spybot and
> > Adaware run. Tons of things found as usual. Also RegClean (not
> > Microsoft's) which analyzes the registry like WinDoctor and can remove
> > startup entries/uninstall programs (like in Control Panel), etc..
> >
> > I ran all of these programs on one users profile and thought it would
> > correct all spyware and such found in other profiles (except startup
> > programs, etc..)
> >
> > But I did find I needed to run Adaware, Spybot, and WinDoctor and
> > Regclean on each users profile after logging in to XP. Is this normal?
> >
> > I can see each user having their own startup and program files and
> > look and feel but thought the Adaware, Spybot and some other programs
> > would affect ALL users.
> >

> Yes, it is normal that you need to run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D in each
> user account. While there are registry entries that are global, each
> user account also has personalized settings. This also applies to some
> Control Panel applet options, like Folder Options to see all files,
> Internet Options to Empty Temporary Files on Exit, and the like.
>
> Malke

Relevant Pages

  • Summary (was Re: Ok, so Im a lazy moron - Explorer crashes at startup)
    ... ALWAYS with a/v, Spybot and AAW. ... Up to date CWShredder finds nothing (even in Safe Mode). ... Data source object exploit (Registry change, ... a LOT of stuff loading but all the extra stuff appears to me tablet PC ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New computer, which security software?
    ... Spybot would be a good additional spyware scanner. ... Be Clean is the best ... To protext your XP from sending stuff home to MS I advice XP Antispy ... RegSeeker is the only genue registry scanner that can somehow ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: OT - Win XP .. http://www.safer-networking.org/ SPYBOT !!!!!!
    ... including startup shit. ... Having just downloaded spybot from the link you posted, I've installed it and so far every time I've tried to run it I've had to invoke Program ... info that their malware was so deeply embedded into the registry ... Did I mention that you can try Windows Defender, a free download from Microsoft? ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • tweaking software...to tweak or not to tweak
    ... There's all this tweaking software out there like Spybot, ... problems with registry ... they do...not even their own programs uninstall completely ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: spyware removal in win 2000
    ... Andrew & Rossano ... > CWS, CoolWebSearch, is a particularly nasty incarnation of ad-ware. ... > is truly astonishing that such a registry location exists. ... It ensures that a BHO starts up with IE at every boot. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)