Re: Cant access certain web sites.

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoonnotreally.com)
Date: 05/08/04

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:16:13 -0700

Dahe H wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed Norton Internet security 2004 the other day
> and ever since there are certain web sites that I cant
> visit, even with the damn thing turned off! It wont even
> let me visit the symantec website! Not sure if this is
> the correct forum but could there be anything thats
> changed in explorer etc..

This is probably because of some spyware. Certainly NIS wouldn't prevent
you from reaching its own website. First, check the hosts files as
follows:

1. In XP's Search preferences, set the files and folders handling to
Advanced, and then check the box that will make Search look in hidden
files/folders.

2. Now enter the search term "hosts" without the quotes.

3. You will get several hosts and lmhosts files. Double-click each one
to open it. When you do this, you'll get the Windows dialog box asking
what program to use - choose "select from a list" and select Notepad.
Make sure the box to always use this program to open this type of file
is *not* checked.

4. Now carefully examine the file. Lines that begin with a # are
comments and don't count. Leave them alone. Unless you know you use a
proxy server to get to the Internet or you added entries yourself, the
only uncommented entry that should be there is:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you see any other entries, delete them and Save the file. Make sure
you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window if there is a
scrollbar. Do this for each file you found.

Now you should be able to get to Symantec's website. Continue your
cleanup by removing spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure
to update these programs before running them. These programs are free,
so run them both since they complement each other. It is best to run
antivirus and spyware removal tools in Safe Mode.

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers