help me clean up, somebody?

From: me (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/03/04

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:31:05 -0800

Hello

I had xp installed happily on my pc, until one day I got
a virus: but thought it was a problem with the o/s

so I started to reinstall xp. I got as far as the opening
pages on the install cd when I discovered the virus was
the problem, not the operating system. So I aborted the
reinstallation.

I cleaned the virus (blaster) with the relevant tools
from the microsoft site

but now every time I turn the PC on, it wants to complete
the second, aborted installation: and I have a few
seconds to tell it to use the perfectly good (and now
virus free) original installation. If I don't get tgere
in time, because I'm making a coffee or answereing the
phone, it goes into an endless loop asking me forever and
plaintively to give it the CD

How can I scratch out the second, useless, start-of-
installation dialogue so that the PC boots without my
presence to answer its fatuous question?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how do you reformat the hd in xp?
    ... He now wants to reinstall. ... I have tried every virus program and malware program on the ... > Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. ...
  • KRiLE and Zvi Netiv... for old times sake
    ... the Virus Defence Bureau (formerly ... it 'Finds and repairs ALL viruses known and unknown.' ... 'At the point of installation Invircible ... File infectors given free rein ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: ise32 Properties
    ... It was upgraded to SP1 using the same installation pack I downloaded ... Maybe I should juz reformat and reinstall for the 3rd time with a fresh SP1 ... Then the virus came FROM THAT COMPUTER. ... Your best bet since it's a new system is to restore it to factory-new ...
  • Re: IE redirects to some other page.
    ... Check for Spyware - How-to ... as does HijackThis (Only more so. ... This item below is designed to *prevent* installation of malware and the ... Virus Cleaner - free virus & worm removal tool ...
  • windows wont start
    ... So I attempted to restart using ... >times upon startup the box saying windows had recovered ... All virus scans ... will look over your Hard drive for the installation then ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)