Re: Games and user groups

From: Jimmy S. (Private)
Date: 12/23/04

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:12:20 -0500

Hi Pro,

"Pro" <Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08EA756C-67C1-4C2C-9A1A-824668A47B91@microsoft.com...
| I have been installing games on my pc as administrator in odrer that everyone
| can play them, but this does not seem to happen. There appears to be problems
| in saving games or accessing games from other users. Are there further
| settings that I need to "allow"?

Some games will work with limited accounts after they have been installed and
run once either using an administrator account, or by temporarily changing the
limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User Accounts,
just for the purpose of running the game the first time in order to be able to
install the necessary files and create the keys in the registry that it needs to
function, but may not be able to due to the restrictive nature of limited accounts.

If that mouthful doesn't resolve the issue, use the "Run As.." command instead:

1. Click Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Create a New Account /
     Name the Account: "able2play" (without quotes) / Next Pick: "Computer-
     Administrator" & Click "Create Account";

2. Click on your new able2play account and Create a Password for it;

3. When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator
    privileges they can Right-Click the shortcut to that game / Click Run As... /
    "The Following User": able2play and enter the password. Simple as that!

I know what you're thinking: That defeats the purpose of the limited user account.
To secure the "able2play" account so that it can't be used to logon to the computer:

First you can hide the account so that it won't show up on the Welcome Screen:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hide_users.htm (thanks Doug!)

Next add a shortcut to the windows logoff routine into the RUN key of the
able2play registry. I made a reg patch to simplify this process if you wish to use it:

4. Logon to the "able2play" account,

5. <ONLY RUN THIS PATCH USING THE "ABLE2PLAY" ACCOUNT>
     Save this patch to your drive and then doubleclick it to install it to your registry.
     http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/OnlyRunUsingAble2PlayAccount.reg

or

    *Instead of using the reg patch, click Start / Run / regedt32 / browse to:
    [HKCU\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and
    Click Edit / New / String value / ValueName: logoff / Value data: logoff

>From now on, if anyone logs on with the "able2play" account, the computer will log
them off immediately. They will not gain access to an administrators desktop! :-)

--
Cheers,                                 Windows XP MVP Shell / User
Jimmy S.                               http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • SP2 - Access Denied error when installing software
    ... we'll repair Windows and then install SP2. ... > Okay here's what I've found in the registry looking at the permissions in the ... So I added my account and "Users " groups. ... > By the way I did all this from safe mode under the "Administrator" account. ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: Myst III, Exile will not launch in Limited User
    ... Here's a utility to allow Administrators to permit users to run games: ... limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User Accounts, ... When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: XP Professional Adminstraor Account...?
    ... Logged onto domain from workstation as Administrator. ... users and gave the user administrative rights. ... Logged out and logged back in under the users account in which I ... Attempt to install program and the install will fail while copying ...
  • Re: XP Professional Adminstraor Account...?
    ... Logged onto domain from workstation as Administrator. ... users and gave the user administrative rights. ... Logged out and logged back in under the users account in which I just ... Attempt to install program and the install will fail while copying ...
  • Delphi 4 IDE and applications in Vista
    ... I have always developed and installed my applications on XP machines, and everything seems to work OK. ... I am running using an identity with administrator privileges, but many of my files and folders seem to be shared with another identity. ... I can set the properties of the icon to run as administrator, and that works OK until the next install. ... Maybe I just need to delete the "Guest" user account, and keep the "Paul" account as administrator. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)