Re: Will the real Eval SP2 please stand up?

From: Larry Waibel (lwaibel_at_no-spam-cox.net)
Date: 01/17/05

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:44:16 PST

I have a boxed product labeled Microsoft Windows XP Embedded, Includes Service pack 1. I
don't see any place where it says 'evaluation'. Which version of SP2 do I download to
update it? Thanks!

In article <#IT2cac#EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Km wrote:
> From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Will the real Eval SP2 please stand up?
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:25:48 -0800
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
>
> Roger,
>
> The second link you posted - SP2 Eval - beside the SP2 Update it also does include SP1
(SP1 ToolKit, MSDE, SP1 Database) as a part
> of the download unless you explicitly uncheck related checkboxes in XPEFFI.exe tool GUI.
> The link I am talking about is

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340e
fc&DisplayLang=en. (read Instructions
> section on the page).
>
> AFAIK, there is no just Full SP2 available. SP2 is always an update to SP1. Some links
allow you to download just SP2 Update, some
> SP2 Update+SP1. This is true for Eval and Non-Eval versions.
>
> Now about the difference in the links you posted earlier. The first one - direct download
over http.
> While the second link allows you to use XPEFFI (Web download) Tool. The tool just saves
you some click-time and provides a
> multithread download of all the required files to selected destination. Some issues with
XPEFFI are known when you are behind a
> firewall. So, I guess, that is the reason Microsoft created the first link.
>
> The used to be a link to SP2 TP download (which, IIRC, was just a SP2 Update download)
but I failed to find it now (maybe already
> removed?) and it is definitely not one of the links you listed.
>
> --
> Regards,
> KM
>
> > JC,
> > In the hope that you were right I uninstalled my eval SP2 which was built by the
> > 2nd method you described. From your explanation, my expectation was that the
> > first method would be a full, self contained install of eval XPe/SP2. However
> > when I started WINDOWS_XP_EMBEDDED_SP2E.EXE, it auto-extracted a lot of files
> > and then displayed the exact same startup screen that was displayed by
> > XPEFFI.exe including the message:
> >
> > If you have not installed Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 1, insert Disc 1
> > and choose Tools Setup. Windows XP Embedded with SP1 is required before you
> > install ...
> >
> > So it appears that both files are SP2 updates. Why are there 2 different SP2
> > updates to the evaluation edition? Is one of them really the TP as I asked
> > before? If not, which one should I use? I've already observed that the
> > XPEFFI.exe update has a characteristic attributed to TP, i.e. failure of CD to
> > import an .inf file.
> >
> > Roger
> >
> > JC wrote:
> > >
> > > So I can see your confusion. There are a couple methods here...
> > >
> > > 1. if you are downloading the XPE with SP2 eval, this is the FULL version of
> > > XPE with SP2. if you are running SP1 already, you will need to back up your
> > > SLD's and Repositories of any components you have created, then Backup your
> > > SLX files. Uninstall SP1, then reboot. Once you have rebooted, install the
> > > XPE with SP2...
> > >
> > > This is the First link you posted.
> > >
> > > 2. if you are UPGRADING to SP2 from SP1 (the second link you posted) you
> > > should be able to install it on top of your SP1 installation. There is a SA
> > > password workaround for MSDE you need to implement, but that's documented in
> > > NG already.
> > >
> > > NOTE: if you are running the Full licensed version of XPE SP1, then neither
> > > of these links will work. you will need to go to the OEM secure site
> > > https:.//microsoft.embeddedoem.com to obtain the licensed version.
> > >
> > > That will hopefully settle the confusion. Most likely if you uninstall SP1
> > > and reinstall the Full SP2, this will fix your problem with e1000325.inf...
> > > however the best way to do this is to use CD with your driver, and make it a
> > > true component in the database. (maybe that's what you were eluding to, but
> > > it was not clear there) :-)
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > JC
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Coyne- Windows Embedded Black Belt- XPE and CE
> > > BSquare Corp.
> > > If you wish to reply directly to me, remove the <nospam_ > from the address.
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • ~~> DOWNLOAD SP2 <~~
    ... download windows sp2 no serial ... windows xp sp2 download network ... windows sp2 password recovery free download ...
    (sci.engr.semiconductors)
  • DOWNLOAD SP2
    ... Download Windows Xp Sp2 ... Sp2 Free Download ...
    (comp.realtime)
  • >>> SP2 DOWNLOAD <<<
    ... sp2 download fr ... microsoft windows 2003 sp2 download ... windows sp2 microsorft free download ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: Re: AVI files crash Win Explorer thumbnail view
    ... > the time to make everyting work again after SP2 messes everything up. ... Also download and install the latest K-Lite Codec Pack - Basic. ... Under Hidden Files and Folders Enable Show hidden files and folders. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP2 in Software Distribution ?
    ... > I am going to update my fathers to SP2 and he has already had his ... > computer set to auto download. ... Then you can clean it up. ... latest drivers for your hardware devices. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)