Re: EvfMgr C: -commit followed by Power Down gives lost changes

From: Doug Hoeffel (doug.hoeffelNo_at_SpAmMcamtronics.com)
Date: 12/03/04

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:25:26 -0600

Lasse:

For ejecting the CD, how about using ejectcd.com? I've used this for a
regular ATAPI CD-ROM. Not sure about a USB CD-ROM.

HTH... Doug
"Lasse" <Lasse-NO@SPAM-engdahl.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> This is how I do things.
> The Target Designer image contains only the OS and some utilities
> for remote installation of our applications.
> The image is developed on a development PC with screen.
> This is put as a Ghost image on a DOS bootable CD.
> We install it on the headless machines by booting from an USB CD reader.
> (the first boot device). DOS automatically runs Ghost.
> After that we remove the CD and reboots. Up comes XPE, which the first
> time uses an utility to fetch the applications from an external Webserver.
> There are more than 50 applications.
>
> One reason for not making Target Designer components and include
> the applications in the image is that XPE is developed before the
> applications and they are changed many times during the development phase.
> When the applications are changed the method mentioned below is used.
>
> Another reason is that the PCs use the same Target Designer image
> but different applications and settings.
>
> We are not using cloning tools since I see no reason for that.
>
> By the way, one little problem is that I want to eject the USB CD
> from DOS when Ghost is completed so I know when I can reboot the PC.
> I have no idea how to do that. I guess this is a matter of BIOS support
> when an USB CD reader emulates a hard disk.
>
> As you can see EWF is there all the time.
>
> Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) wrote:
>
> > Hi Lasse,
> >

> >>When we want to update/install a PC with new application software,
> >>a little utility on this PC is started from a remote computer. This uses
> >>a script and connects to an external WebServer to fetch the new
software.
> >>This might include running a script that modifies Registry, deletes
files, ...

> > Where is the EWF in this utility, I do not see that it is connected to
your image per your description.

> [...]
I will disappoint you.

(Or in SP2 if you commitanddisable overlay with live

just move data to EWF overlay, but data will stay there

> [...]
Otherwise, any

> [...]
during the graceful shutdown, not before.

> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Comapct Flash File System
    ... Applications don't have to be modified. ... EWF Disk overylay vs. RAM overlay. ... use volatile memory instead of Compact Flash card... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: USB boot and EWF RAM REG
    ... Both are much faster when EWF is enabled. ... Not all USB flash disks are created equal. ... Perhaps some disk architecture for EWF is different. ... Any idea to reduce the FBA phase time? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Update: EWF USB RAM REG -> Wrong Volume Protected
    ... When I start the system with detached RAID, the EWF is working fine on the ... it seems that the USB stick is moving from ... The Diskmanager shows the RAID as Disk 0 and the USB Stick as Disk 1 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Using USB instead of RS232 on embeded project
    ... >finding a laptop with two serial ports if that's what you need. ... PCMCIA or USB to RS232 exist and have existed for some time. ... >commercial and industrial applications, not hobbyist setups or VAR systems.) ... either due to burst communications or random connections ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: explorer.exe going insane
    ... 1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk: ... Defrag the volumes of the HD: ... Check the applications started at boot and keep them ... Keep your system free of malwares ...