Re: EvfMgr C: -commit followed by Power Down gives lost changes

From: Doug Hoeffel (doug.hoeffelNo_at_SpAmMcamtronics.com)
Date: 12/03/04

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:25:26 -0600

Lasse:

For ejecting the CD, how about using ejectcd.com? I've used this for a
regular ATAPI CD-ROM. Not sure about a USB CD-ROM.

HTH... Doug
"Lasse" <Lasse-NO@SPAM-engdahl.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> This is how I do things.
> The Target Designer image contains only the OS and some utilities
> for remote installation of our applications.
> The image is developed on a development PC with screen.
> This is put as a Ghost image on a DOS bootable CD.
> We install it on the headless machines by booting from an USB CD reader.
> (the first boot device). DOS automatically runs Ghost.
> After that we remove the CD and reboots. Up comes XPE, which the first
> time uses an utility to fetch the applications from an external Webserver.
> There are more than 50 applications.
>
> One reason for not making Target Designer components and include
> the applications in the image is that XPE is developed before the
> applications and they are changed many times during the development phase.
> When the applications are changed the method mentioned below is used.
>
> Another reason is that the PCs use the same Target Designer image
> but different applications and settings.
>
> We are not using cloning tools since I see no reason for that.
>
> By the way, one little problem is that I want to eject the USB CD
> from DOS when Ghost is completed so I know when I can reboot the PC.
> I have no idea how to do that. I guess this is a matter of BIOS support
> when an USB CD reader emulates a hard disk.
>
> As you can see EWF is there all the time.
>
> Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) wrote:
>
> > Hi Lasse,
> >

> >>When we want to update/install a PC with new application software,
> >>a little utility on this PC is started from a remote computer. This uses
> >>a script and connects to an external WebServer to fetch the new
software.
> >>This might include running a script that modifies Registry, deletes
files, ...

> > Where is the EWF in this utility, I do not see that it is connected to
your image per your description.

> [...]
I will disappoint you.

(Or in SP2 if you commitanddisable overlay with live

just move data to EWF overlay, but data will stay there

> [...]
Otherwise, any

> [...]
during the graceful shutdown, not before.