Re: XML vs regular commands

From: TT (Tom Tempelaere) (_N_OSPAMtiti_____at_hotmail.comMAPSO_N_)
Date: 03/14/04

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:41:06 -0800

> ----- Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) wrote: -----
>> Hi,
>> Cold me old fashioned, but I would never use any programming language or
> technology higher than C++.

I wouldn't call you old fashioned, my first idea was to actually use c++. Company policies however suggested I'd use c#. Howeve,r if I decide that C# is not the way to go, then it will be in c++.

> I have no idea what XML can do and how fast it can do it, but it will never
> be able to match speed of using API directly or writing driver program that
> uses NDIS or TDI directly.

I know. But just how fast can parsing xml commands be? If it is fast enough and it always takes the same time to parse the commands, then it is sufficient.
But I worry about performance (of course). I am already crawling back from the idea of using xml.

Can you tell me what NDIS & TDI are?

> One thing why you should avoid fancy things like XML, .Net framework, etc.
> Is because they will triple size of your XPe image (You can make very small
> images using minlogon).

Doesn't c# have some switch to compile to asm instead of to cli?
Anyway, embedded java exists so I thought c# would have something similar.

> And more components you have in your image, more likely that there will be
> some security hole. Also you will need to track and apply new QFE's more
> often.

QFE?

> If XML is only thing you know, and you use it for other purposes then this
> could be only reason why to use it.
> Also you should consider that this may be good for you, but your customers
> needs like reliable system should come first. So if you can use API more
> directly as in C++ then you should use it.
>> Regards,
> Slobodan

Thanks,
Tom.

     "TT (Tom Tempelaere)" <_N_OSPAMtiti____@hotmail.comMAPSO_N_> wrote in
     message news:4CB0C817-A910-4FEC-9CB4-3C78BE31FE5C@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>> In a certain project I need to send and receive commands and status info
> other processes. Each command would have some parameters (fixed set per
> command), status info would have some fields (also fixed). The commands
     and
> status info are sent over sockets because the other processes could be
> located on different servers/platforms. Another requirement is that the
> commands and status info have to be parsed and executed as fast as
     possible.
> Timing is critical, because the other processes drive robotic parts.
>> I was wondering if it would make any sense to use XML for the commands and
> the status info. I know a bit about XML, but I've never used it before. I
> know that .net has class(es) to process the xml files but I worry about
> performance. The XML commands would probably need some dtd or xsd for
> validation, in order to be used by the xml-parse classes (I don't know).
     It
> looks like it would take a lot longer to parse an xml command using
> xml-parse classes, than it would by just manually parsing a byte command.
     On
> the other hand, i think using xml would make it easier to programme. It
     will
> take some time before I can actually test this all, so:
>> I would like to hear any opinion on this matter.
>> Thank you,
> PS: I also posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.xml, but my platform could be
     embedded XP I don't know yet.
> ---
> Tom Tempelaere

Relevant Pages

  • Re: search replace with regex
    ... multiple files and multiple regexes per pass. ... I tend to use "sed" for such tasks, but does not have Java syntax either. ... XML is quite a reasonable syntax for expressing trees. ... creating a tool which reads XML and performs commands is a bit ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: XML vs regular commands
    ... but I would never use any programming language or ... One thing why you should avoid fancy things like XML, .Net framework, etc. ... > In a certain project I need to send and receive commands and status info ... > xml-parse classes, than it would by just manually parsing a byte command. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Using XP_SendMail to send XML Results file
    ... OK I've got some of the SP_OA commands working, ... output stream to be reimported as an NTEXT param of xp_sendmail? ... > for the task but some code to export the FOR XML via OLEDB/ADO and then ... > I thought I had some sample code for the call-out, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.xml)
  • Re: XML vs regular commands
    ... Windows API or some drivers will give you that. ... enough and it always takes the same time to parse the commands, ... Something that your marketing guys probably don't want you to use. ... I know a bit about XML, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Constellations
    ... I don't think find commands have much hope of being used by ... XML is not much better. ... I want a standard way of specifying constellations that works ... PM Steven Harper is fixated on the costs of implementing Kyoto, estimated as high as 1% of GDP. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)