Re: Icon Replacement Programs

I see that there are quite a few programs that you can use to change your
system(shell32.dll) icons. Are any of these good? Seems like a lot of
them
cause problems. I'd like to try one, but not if it's going to make a
mess.

The registry entries explained by David Candy in his response is the only
clean way to do this I know of.
AFAIK, it isn't documented, but it based on the customization feature built
into Windows itself.

In case you want an easy to use application to perform these registry
changes, it is the method used in my PHM Plus! for Windows XP.
Once installed, you can take the display properties (right-click on empty
area of the desktop > Properties, or Display icon in the control panel), and
you'll see it has an extra Customize tab. At the bottom of that that tab, a
"Customize Shell..." button brings up a new properties window that lets you
change these icon entries (on the Shell Icon tab), as well as system folders
icons (on the System Folders tab).
These provide easy to use frontends on top of existing Windows XP features
and are _not_ running in the background to enforce these changes, as Windows
itself is using the values they set.

--
Philippe Majerus
Software, Documentation and stuff - http://www.phm.lu

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... an attempt to point out that "not all the world uses Windows". ... I wiped out the whole Windows system directory by clicking on ... I was curious about what was in that .bat file, ... clicking on the icon for other kinds of text files opened them ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: TweakUI missing "Repair My Documents Icon" etc
    ... You can also add TweakUI to the Control Panel with ... Add XP TweakUI Icon to the Control Panel ... How can I add TweakUI to the Windows XP Control Panel? ... Documents and Settings folder on whatever drive it is located on for the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ping: Hackintoshers.
    ... icon (that provides a simple 'Reboot into OSX' option) on OSX and it ... working it's not as neat as the Windows solution). ... Under XP I have a Bootcamp icon in the System tray that allows me to ... it a list of the apps even if they weren't in the apps folder? ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Icons and File Association in Windows Explorer
    ... Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer ... Panel/Folder Options/File Type and highlight the ICO Icon entry. ...
  • Re: Cannot connect to remote server
    ... So this is not a Windows XP SP3 problem on ... You hover over the icon on the remote desktop and a "hand pointer" ... I have a feeling that you were using RDP 5.1 with Windows XP SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)