Re: Windows Explorer Default Directory

From: David Candy (.)
Date: 12/11/04

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:03:37 +1100

Right click are context specific commands. It would not make sense for a right click - open/explore on Start to open anything else but start.

http://www.uscricket.com
"cummingsjp" <cummingsjp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:376F24E8-DDB1-4CDD-8D68-00248ED2F7CC@microsoft.com...
> Sir --
>
> Thank you.
>
> I don't use your suggested method to access Explorer because it is
> cumbersome.  Explorer isn't automatically included in the window, and if it
> were, it would take too much time to look through the rest of the clutter to
> find it.  Using the right click presenst a minimum of items to choose from,
> and is always there, which is especially important as I change computers
> frequently.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jim
>
> "Trevor L." wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> Why not open the Start Menu (by left click) and use the items on the top
>> right side.
>>
>> To select which items are to be present there, right click an empty part of
>> the taskbar, left click Properties, left click the Start Menu tab, left click
>> Customize... , left click the Advanced Tab and then click on (i.e. put a tick
>> mark in) any or all of the items you want
>> My Computer
>> My Documents
>> My Music
>> My Network Places (if you are networked)
>> My Pictures
>>
>> Then left click
>> OK
>> Apply
>> OK
>>
>> When you go back to the Start Menu the items will then be there. Clicking
>> any one will start you at that place.
>>
>> The suggestion to set up a shortcut will also clearly work fine.
>>
>> "CummingsJP" wrote:
>>
>> > I went through all of the relevant recent posts on this topic, but none quite
>> > did the trick for me.
>> >
>> > I normally access windows explorer by doing a right-click over the start
>> > menu.  This opens explorer, but puts me in my "Start Menu" folder.  I can't
>> > think of a worse place to start from.  How do I change this, or
>> > alternatively, how do I change the right-click over the start menu to go to
>> > my winexplore shortcut?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > JPC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Explorer
    ... In addition to presenting the user with the ability to navigate the file system, explorer.exe will read file association information from the registry and employ the appropriate executable file to launch the selected file. ... I think the primary reason for wanting to launch an application using explorer is to offer the user the interface. ... I included the file name to open in the command line and it opens the ... will open an instance of Windows Explorer and allow you to navigate the file ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Bad Document Management Bug!
    ... user training to avoid these pitfalls. ... > documents in Explorer View. ... > (I have a vague feeling there's a recent KB article on this but am ... >> - User B opens the document in Explorer view while A is still ...
  • Re: Explorers default opening folder
    ... Actually -- when I actually use Explorer, which is rare (like when I ... I've never bothered with a shortcut because I ... >the Windows key and pressing E.:) ... I've never even noticed before and it opens essentially a right-click ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • One other thing
    ... Explorer interacts with Word and Firefox, both of which I have reinstalled ... Explorer, it opens fine. ... "Terry Farrell" wrote: ... I have not seen the bug in action; ...
  • Re: Open with... .reg extensions
    ... It's like the registry is ... holding the information, but doesn't update Explorer. ... a System Restore or Scanreg /Restore from a DOS boot or whatever XP ... I set the Merge as the default action and I tested the Opens ...
    (microsoft.public.security)