Re: Using "Windows Mail" to transfer to a new profile.

Hi CTOS-

I've done that way before, apparently there is another way... was just
hoping it was published somewhere... I have a funny feeling it is... because
MAIL in the control panel is being used for that very purpose.

I like the method, I hope someone here knows where I can find the way to do
that that way.

Thanks!

"CTOS" wrote:

Migrating user's profiles (includes .pst files) from one computer to another
is very similar to what I belive your after.

What I do is when manually migrating a user for mail, on the new computer
open Outlook to create the user's outlook.pst file, but don't download any
new messages (i.e. do not connect network cable or save user's mail
password). Close Outlook.

Copy the outlook.pst file from user's old computer profile location to the
new computer profile location.

Re-open Outlook on new computer and all mail/contacts/calendar are there.
Reconnect network cable or enter user's mail password and download new
messages.

So you would be copying the outlook.pst file from one local profile location
to another on the same computer using Windows Explorer or the DOS command
window if you like using DOS commands.

C:\Documents and Settings\%workgroup username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\%domain username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Maybe not a very elegant procedure, but it works. Are there other methods
or a white paper as you asked, probably. There's no wizard like outlook.pst
migrator/mover in the "Mail" application.

"tlc_13200@xxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

Hi DL-

No, I understand your concern about moving the PST file unto the server,
we're not attempting that (not without the use of Exchange).

No, what I am asking is how to operate the MAIL program to move the current
mail .PST file into the new Profile when you boot up the computer after it
joins the domain.

As you know, when you join a domain, Windows XP profile changes.

And one of them is removing the e-mails from out of Outlook and creating a
new .pst file. We want to move the pst file from the original profile into
the new profile that is logged onto the domain.

Maybe I should I have said that in the beginning.

I like to find instructions, or white paper(s) on using the Mail program in
the control panel in order to move the PST file as the current record for the
new domain.

Thanks.

David M.

"DL" wrote:

If I understand you correctly you maybe thinking of moving your pst files to
the server.
If that is correct you should be aware that MS doesn't support the use of a
pst over a network, as it can and does lead to data corruption.

The Mail applet in the control panel is that that is configured to use
whatever mail handler you have running, typically Outlook. You don't need to
use the Mail applet to move data files.
If you move the outlook data files (pst's) with Outlook closed, to another
location, the next time you run outlook it will complain, and give you the
opportunity to browse to and select the relevant data file, at its new
location
(You would also need to amend any archive settings to ensure they point to
the correct/moved archive location)

"tlc_13200@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tlc13200hotmailcom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message news:607E5512-468F-4346-949E-79595CFC3F04@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi CTOS-

Thanks for that link. But, it's close but not exactly what I wanted.

Let me see... imagine you have a workstation that is not connected to a
domain. It sits and stands alone with internet connections only.

So, we established that.

Next, we setup and deployed a SBS Server 2003 R2, and it's online!

Then, we go to that stand alone computer, that has Outlook 2003 on it with
existing data, e-mail and such. We want that computer to join the domain.
(log onto the server).

We established that. So, what happens when we do? The profile of that
stand
alone is now altered where the e-mails, are no longer seen after it's
joined
the domain.

I understand that if we go into the control panel and load up "MAIL" we
can
manuever the ".PST" file that is archived with the existing e-mails and
such,
to load into the new profile which has joined the domain. I like to find
white sheets, or instructions on how to operate the "MAIL" program that
resides in the control panel?

I understand the document you linked me too does share issues regarding
corrupted files (.PST) and or restoring that PST file onto a new hard
drive
and such. Pretty straight forward. But, if the computer is joining a
Domain
of a server, the profile change. And being that I have seen this program
in
the control, and have notice that a colleague has used this program before
set the PST file as primary for Outlook., I like to have the white sheets
or
instructions on how to use this MAIL program to do just what he did
without
worrying about having duplicate PST files in Outlook, and losing the
content
structure only by simply joining a domain.

I hope this time around, I'm a bit more clear?

Thanks for the link.

David M.

"CTOS" wrote:

I'm not quit sure what your asking, but maybe this document will help:

"How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in
Outlook
2002"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

"tlc_13200@xxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

Okay, here's a question... we have three desktops with XP Professional
on
them. And we setup and installed a server with MS SBS 2003 R2 on them.
Now,
we are going to each workstation and logging them onto the server's
domain
for the first time ever... client one has outlook 2003 on it, so does
the
other one.

So, the ".PST" file(s) archived and outlook are in the user's computer,
saw that "mail" was ran to transfer the ".PST" file into the new
profile now
logged onto the server and everything pops back up into outlook.

I've never used "Windows Mail", in the Control Panel before do that
this. Is
there a white paper or simple instructions somewhere on the web that
will
tell me how to do this?

I basically have a workstation with XP Pro on it, and I am going to log
it
unto the domain of the new server, and I want to retrieve the existing
".PST"
file so that we don't recreate it in the new profile. Where can I get
the
steps at doing it?

I sincerely hope I made my self clear. Although, sometimes trying to
explain
online to make my point does complicate things???

Thanks, in advance!

  • RE: login and email problems
    ... To the Outlook issue, ... Run "ipconfig /registerdns" command to register the DNS server. ... Ensure that you have an Outlook profile configured for the server ... profile is not associated with a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Restoring backup Outlook.pst
    ... You can close any PST file that still has a valid connection to the profile or that is not your default PST. ... If the PST file you want to use is not your default, you can designate it as such in Outlook, restart Outlook, then close any other PST file you do not want to use. ... Outlook help and looked up removing Contacts folder and removed the first on ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: RPCH Over HTTP config
    ... "The client could not connect to the remote computer. ... See the link called "Configure your computer to use Outlook via the ... Small Business Server through the Internet ... profile configured for the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RPCH Over HTTP config
    ... See the link called "Configure your computer to use Outlook via the ... Small Business Server through the Internet ... profile configured for the server. ... If Microsoft Exchange Server does not appear in the list, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Using "Windows Mail" to transfer to a new profile.
    ... MAIL in the control panel is being used for that very purpose. ... Close Outlook. ... Copy the outlook.pst file from user's old computer profile location to ... I understand your concern about moving the PST file unto the ...