Re: backup will not compress data

I have Nero that come with my CD burner but you said you don't know how to
use it. I will contact them for help if no one else can help me here. Thanks
so much!
--
In His Service,
Debra A. Snipes

"Pop`" wrote:

DEBNC wrote:
Are you saying if I get software that can backup to DVDs that it will
let me backup to like DVD1, DVD2, etc. in one backup?

DEBNC wrote:
If I backup my computer to my hard drive and then transfer it to a
CD will it all fit? How will I know? Do you know how much
information can be put on a CD? How about on a DVD?

No, when you start the restore, you can select the file you wish to
restore. If there is a problem with the program reading from the
CD/DVD, you can simply copy the files from the disk back to the
hard drive.

Thank you so much for understanding my financial situation.

I read your story. <s>

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"DEBNC" <DEBNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
That sounds like a great idea until I can afford better software.
Just one question. If I backup to my hard drive and then transfer
it to a DVD or CD won't the NTBackup program look for it where it
is deleted from and not be able to use it from the DVD? Please
tell me how to restore in case I need to. Thank you so much for
understanding my financial situation. --
In His Service,
Debra A. Snipes
www.In-His-Service.org

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

Debra

NTBackup does not back up directly to CD/DVD, however, you can
backup to the hard drive, and burn those backup files to a CD/DVD
using the built-in burning feature on XP. You can then delete the
files from the hard drive. This would probably be the best low
cost option for you.

If the size of the backup files are too large for a CD or DVD,
you can simply back up the hard drive in smaller increments.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"DEBNC" <DEBNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
What other backup devices will NTBackup support besides tape
drives? Does it support CD or DVD backup? If not, I need to do
some shopping considering I have an monthly disability income of
603/month. Is there any companies or products I should
definitely stay away from in your opinion? I know some
companies offers stuff free to put viruses or spyware on your
computer. --
In His Service,
Debra A. Snipes
www.In-His-Service.org

"V Green" wrote:

Built-in NTBackup is a MAJOR POS. It only supports
compression when it is done in hardware by the backup device
(as in some tape drives, not for HD's).

Dump it and buy a third party solution.

"DEBNC" <DEBNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, I am using the XP built-in NTBackup. I am not backing up
to a tape
drive
but to another hard drive. However, the hard drive I am
backing up to will not hold the back up. If I cannot compress
it before it is backed up then
it
will not fit on the hard drive. Can I change to Seagate Backup
Exec for Windows 95 or will it not work? Is there any other
options? --
In His Service,
Debra A. Snipes
www.In-His-Service.org

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

Debra

What backup program are you using?

If you are using the XP built-in NTBackup and the Compress
option is
disabled, this usually indicates that you are not backing up to
a tape drive.

Alternately, you can use the XP compression feature to store
the file in
a compressed folder.

How To Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306531

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"DEBNC" <DEBNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
When I backup my data it will not even give me the option
of compressing my data which I greatly need to do. Help
says something about changing compression for the internet
however I have cable internet and that
does not
apply to me. What can I do to compress my data as it is
being backed
up on my
Windows XP computer?
--
In His Service,
Debra A. Snipes

For CD, figure about 350 Meg; DVD, 4.4 Gig. Create your backups in
stages if you have to, copying off to the CD or DVD as you go along,
and deleting files along the way.

If your software will back up to DVD, it can't compress it, but it
-can- span drives for you, meaning you need a few more DVD, but
they're cheap now days.

Yes. I use Roxio CD Creator. I've heard NERO, free, can also do it but
have no experience with that one. It's called "spanning" when it will write
to more than one disk.

Pop`

  • Re: backup will not compress data
    ... Windows Shell/User ... "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote: ... If the size of the backup files are too large for a CD or DVD, you can simply back up the hard drive in smaller increments. ... compression when it is done in hardware by the backup device ...
  • Re: backup will not compress data
    ... Are you saying if I get software that can backup to DVDs that it will let me ... How about on a DVD? ... (as in some tape drives, ... you can use the XP compression feature to store ...
  • Re: backup will not compress data
    ... let me backup to like DVD1, DVD2, etc. in one backup? ... How about on a DVD? ... Windows Shell/User ... you can use the XP compression feature to store ...
  • Re: Eaglesoft Questions ...... yo Steve!
    ... Cd and DVD ... > something like Veritas Backup Exec, but one can make good backups ... > REM - check to see if there is a failsafe folder on the hard drive, ... > compression, recursive, blah, blah ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: backup will not compress data
    ... If the size of the backup files are too large for a CD or DVD, you can simply back up the hard drive in smaller increments. ... Windows Shell/User ... compression when it is done in hardware by the backup device ... (as in some tape drives, ...