Re: WIA and hibernation again

William B. Lurie wrote:
UNk and JJ:
Excuse me, but have I not been testing with all Norton
software not even loaded? Much less in service....
Everybody always suspects Norton, but how can they be
guilty in this case? What can I do to guarantee that
they are completely out of the picture?

Am I missing something here? My ground rules are
Clean Boot every time, load no more than it takes to make
the system run so that I can add services (and eventually
applications) and have a system that turns itself off as
it should after 2 hours of being idle.

Okay, John, I'm back to where the first batch of services
is on automatic, DCOM is manual and hibernate is okay. I'll
leave DCOM on manual, and see what running the next listed
service on automatic tells us.

John John - MVP wrote:
My guess too, (Norton), and I've had it as a suspect from the very beginning.

John

Unknown wrote:
FYI--DCOM is set to automatic on my system and started. And I have no problems with hibernate. I think
you are correct when you state something else interfacing/using DCOM is the fault. My guess-----Norton simply
because of its notoriety. .
"John John - MVP" <audetweld@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uGc28rm1KHA.220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
William B. Lurie wrote:
William B. Lurie wrote:
William B. Lurie wrote:
John John - MVP wrote:
William B. Lurie wrote:
John John - MVP wrote:
William B. Lurie wrote:
William B. Lurie wrote:
(snip)
You can set all the services to Manual start if you want but I don't know if it will change anything, give it a try and find out. Keep these three services to Automatic start:

Event Log
Plug & Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Set all the other services to manual or disabled. After you do this try to hibernate the machine manually or in less than one hour (to make sure that it can actually hibernate with the minimal set of services).

John
Okay, John, will do....later.
But for now, I'd like to report that my clone system is
running, with clean boot, such that it does hibernate
at 1 hour, giving no unexplainable event msgs or errors,
and no sign of the dreaded ati2mtag or whatever it is.
I followed above procedures, John, with eminent success (so far).
Stripping down to just those few, it hibernated at two hours!
Did it twice to make sure.
So I changed the first ten to automatic and again, it hibernated at
two hours. I did it twice to be sure.
That is progress...

So I changed the next 15 or so, and it did NOT go to 2 hours.
And there is the clue to your problem. Keep notes of your changes and keep on narrowing things down. One of these 15 services prevented hibernation, keep on whittling the list down, cut out 8 of the 15 services and see if things change. If it does hibernate move on to the other 7 services, if it doesn't hibernate cut the 8 services list down to 4 and try it again... and so on until you pinpoint it down to the culprit.

Here are
the Events. Critical timing is that it started at 7:43, should have
gone to 9:45, but things happened around 8:15, and desktop came on
and I discontinued, to capture Events Monitor and pass them along.
Perhaps you can interpret what they say, and tell me how to fix it,
maybe by disabling some culprit......or do I search one suspect at a
time until I find it? Got any clues? What is "Ci"?

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Ci
Event Category: CI Service Event ID: 4103