RE: Basic error

"topman" wrote:

Factory restore went like a dream ! But there is still a problem which I
originally thought was clashing anti virus software hence the restore. When
it boots up sometimes it will load with what you would expect to see in the
bottom task bar sometimes theres only some of the icons. Sometime Explorer
will open sometimes it will not. Its also difficult to shut programmes down
and everything is slow. You get the pop up box with `end programme / cancel`
but even pressing end programme leaves the egg timer running. Nothing shows
as running in the applications box of task manager. Managed to load windows
one care with hope of running a virus scan but when I get the menu page again
the egg timer is running so cant click on the scan option. Have I got a virus
or is it something else? Thanks anyone!
--
topman

I think when you restored to factory setting you got the AV which installed
by the vendor as Trail version for 3 month or so.
Try to download one of the free AVs like Avast, Bitdefender, Avira or
kaspersky on your desktop with one or the two Anti-malware mentioned below in
the cleaning instructions. Disconnect from the Internet uninstall the Trail
AV and install the AV you downloaded on your desktop. Reboot then Install the
Antimalware application, connect to teh internet and update both apps and run
a through scan for malware and viruses in Safe Mode.

1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rr-update/rr-free-setup.exe

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Comodo BOClean : Anti-Malware Version 4.27
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html

Run disk clean up on your Drive.
You can download this tool o run clean up:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim

Then run this command:
sfc /scannow

download Hijackthis and send me the log.
(http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php)
Send me copy to my address is : to_you_ross(at remove this and repalce with
the obvious)yahoo.co.uk

( _ is underscore)
HTH
nass
--
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Re: Problems Downloading Patch
    ... UNPLUG YOUR MODEM (or disconnect from the Internet). ... not reboot on you. ... This virus is very clever and has disabled several ... Download and install. ...
  • RE: Unable to access Control Panel
    ... Nope, Wireless will not be of a help, try to download an offline scanner ... What virus is this, is it the MBR one?, it sound like it to me!. ... Connections>> Double click Internet Options. ... You may experiencing a profile corruption/damage, ...
  • RE: Firefox works but IE wont
    ... I understand that your client cannot download the beta1.exe which held in ... or ISA issue. ... Open Internet Explorer. ... Click settings button in the General tab. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem.
    ... have Internet access and is not joined to a domain. ... My recommendation, download the Updates, specially the security ones on a CD ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2 ...