Re: How do I clean up the Documents and Settings folder?

Have fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:350F7F41-4DA7-4313-806B-A2A3D6DA248C@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Oldbrain <Oldbrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Thanks for your trouble Wes, it looks like I shall be able to sort things
out with all this information. I'll let you know how I get on!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

None of those folders should affect how your machine runs, unless they
contain malware, viruses, etc.

If you lose Full Control permissions to your profile folder, in the
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings folder, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
will create a new one the next time you log on. The new profile is named:

UserName - if the older profile was deleted.
UserName.ComputerName - if the old profile exists.
UserName.ComputerName.000 - if UserName.ComputerName exists.
UserName.ComputerName.001 - if UserName.ComputerName.000 exists.

Above explains how the names are arrived at.

Below are some links on how to recover and/or remove what's not needed.

Duplicate profile folders exist under the "Documents and Settings" folder
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/restprofile.htm

How to rename or move a User Profile folder
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314045

How To Restore a User Profile in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324734

How do I recovery a lost local user profile?
http://network.mpei.ac.ru/lang/rus/faqw2kxp/jsifaq/rh4631.htm

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4FF59125-16E7-45C8-9954-51729F96A879@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Oldbrain <Oldbrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Following a problem period when I had to reinstall Windows XP several
times I note that I have many folders in my Documents and Settings
folder, such as Administrator, All Users, Default User, Guest, OEM,
which I am happy with, plus OAM, OEM.CENTRAL.002, All Users.WINDOWS,
etc….. I suspect that all these latter files are not helping the
smooth running of XP and wonder if some of them can be merged into one.
Has any one successfully accomplished this?

.