Re: Default to Shutdown on exit ?

Thanks Oliver,

I went with shutdown -s -t 3 -c "Shutting Down Now"

Had some trouble initially because I called the batch file shutdown.bat
(causing an endless loop). I renamed it to shutdown_now.bat and placed a
short cut to it on the desktop. I added a short cut key to it so I can
shutdown in one step. I'm happy now :-)

There doesn't seem to be a way of doing this - i suppose you could either do
as Kerry said for a quick shut down or alternatively make a batch file and
place it somewhere convenient (desktop, quick launch, start menu).

http://www.computerhope.com/shutdown.htm

Oliver

Isn't there any way of changing a registry entry or something
so that when the 3 choices pop up (Standby, Turn Off, Restart)
it defaults to Turn Off ?

Here are two posibilities maybe more as well.

1) Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced tab, Set it Shutdown when I
press the power button on my computer.

2) Some BIOS' have a similar setting. You'll have to look in your
computer or motherboard manual for how to change this.

  • Re: Need help with a "Shutdown" Script...
    ... appropriate thing here is to run the shutdown batch file and give ... Task" executing this batch file if the computer has been idling for 45 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Improved solution for the slow Exchange2003 shutdown problem
    ... timeout on exchange, hence it not being supported on a non SBS machine. ... > to do it and end up waiting the 15 minutes for the shutdown. ... > 1) Create a batch file named Exchange_Shutdown.bat with this one line " ... > Shutdown script icon. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Boot Win XP Home too long
    ... Open a command prompt and type or paste: ... >> I don't honestly know of a way to make the batch file run at shutdown ... >> to try to run it at boot. ...
  • Re: Elegant shutdown method
    ... I generally use the command line Shutdown.exe command with ... I also believe there is a shutdown tool in the Psutils (available ... I schedule with the scheduler so I am not sure about the time. ... I simply setup a batch file on the Main ...
  • Re: message before turning off
    ... The following file used as a batch file will open a command prompt ... echo off ... You can only use shutdown -a during the time-out period. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)