Re: No CMD "Help"

GeneK wrote:

Just to add that this is the same command prompt that is available
under Start/All Programs/Accessories.

Yep, or C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe, which is the actual execuatble file.
Many systems may also have a desktop or Quicklaunch shortcut to it. There's
more than one way to get at it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
databaseben wrote:

yeh, i did type help in the run window. but it looks like a listing
is being produced but its too fast and then the window closes
immediately.....

No, you didn't follow the instructions below. You're trying to run
the Help command from the Start | Run dialog. You can't do that.
When you run any command, such as help or ipconfig, that displays
its results, the command window opens, the command runs, it displays
the results, and the window closes. It all happens too fast to get
to read anything. What you need to do is first open the Command prompt
window (not the
Run dialog). You do that by typing CMD in the Start | Run line. Then
when you run a command like help or ipconfig in that window, the
results will stay there until *you* explicitly close the winodw.

Please reply to the newsgroup

no, don't type cmdhelp or cmd help.
open the command prompt from accessories then just type
help
then hit enter.
There you'll see a list . IF you need help with one of those type
help then one of the commands that's listed.

"databaseben" <databaseben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:58291DBE-21EB-4526-B4E4-043AC8C5ACAF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
they appear to be working fine. I copied the error from the cmd
window below...

C:\>help
'help' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~
"To be a 0 or is it to be the 1 ?

"l" wrote:

run you virus programs..there are a few types that cause cmd and
a few other
to stop working..how is task manager, system restore?

"databaseben" <databaseben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Funny thing, i notice that I cannot get a menu of the help
commands via the
cmd prompt.

I can get some commands like copy /? dir /? but the command
lines are limited. I'm sure I was able to view a menu/listing
of the help commands
before.

I think that I ran something like "cmd help" and the command
windows appears
briefly and it looks like a listing is produced. But it goes
very fast and
the cmd windows closes immediately.....

Why have I lost the command line Help

--
~~~~~~~~~~~
"To be a 0 or is it to be the 1 ?
That is the data".......W.Gatespeare

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... mostly solve the blind-typing problem that I definitely recall emacs ... Except of course that you need to know some arcane command language ... Hitting tab should insert a tab ... one-line "window" in which the rest of what I type appears, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: cmd.exe slows RegSvr32
    ... I am using cmd windows and .cmd files for these tests. ... I can tell that RegSvr32 is launching itself as a separate process because ... Matthias' solution fixed the problem in the command window. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin)
  • Re: audio behaviour of HD TVs and RX boxes.
    ... wanting to use ffmpeg but who is put off by the command line interface is the fact that I never run ffmpeg from a command prompt. ... Instead, I use Windows Notepad to create batch files, and put the command line with the options into that. ... Double clicking on the batch file in an Explorer window then launches ffmpeg in a dos-style window which displays the program messages. ... The Windows XP help doesn't make any distinction between the use of .bat and .cmd for batch files, and the following references suggest that it doesn't make any difference: ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Simple program to combine .MOD video clips
    ... Any suggestions for free or low-cost progs that can do this ... I have VideoReDo which is a good program for that but I still use cmd ... can reconstruct the larger file using the window copy command. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Printer Control and Print/Preview Problems
    ... to be appended to the report print stream. ... or "Print" with the DoCmd.OpenReport command, ... still open preview window. ... > following that with an OpenReport using acNormal. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)