Re: Fix Boot Record--GoBack broke it

In article <e5hkDzQcGHA.3388@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, billurie@xxxxxxxxxx,
says...

Hello again.
Installing new Norton System Works (a better-than-
usual version, folks)... it installed GoBack and in
the process of removing it, I upset the boot-up
process (on my Slave Drive, fortunately).

I've misplaced the instructions on how to start from
installation CD to do Repair Installation; I think
that's what I need. Please give me the simplified
instructions again, and thank you.

Have you tried this?

Download the following file from Symantec:

Ngbboot.iso

Burn the Ngbboot.iso file to CD.
An ISO file is a complete "image file" of the CD. To burn an ISO image
to a CD, you must have a CD-R/RW drive and a CD-creation program (such
as Roxio Easy CD Creator or Nero Burning ROM) that can burn image files
onto a CD.

If you use Nero Burning ROM, use the Burn Image feature to burn the ISO
image to CD. If you use Easy CD Creator, use the Create CD from Disc
Image feature to burn the image to CD. Refer to your program's
documentation for further instructions.

To use the bootable GoBack CD
Insert the bootable GoBack CD into the CD/DVD drive.
Restart the computer.
Ensure your computer can boot through the CD/DVD drive. If you cannot
boot from a CD, you may need to modify your BIOS settings. For
assistance, contact your computer's manufacturer.

When you restart the computer, you see the following options:
To unhook GoBack (for typical machines)
To repair the Master Boot Record (for typical machines)
To Load IDE (typical) CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt
To Load SCSI CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt

The option that you choose depends on which of the following situations
applies to you:
Option 1 is used when another Symantec Knowledge Base document directed
you to run the following command:

gb_prog.exe /u

Option 2 is only used when another Symantec Knowledge Base document
directed you to run the following command:

gb_prog.exe /r

Options 3 and 4 are used when you want to manually run one of the
following commands:

gb_prog.exe /u
gb_prog.exe /r

If your CD-ROM is a SCSI device, select option 4.

Technical Information:
When you choose options 1 or 2, the following appears on the computer
screen:
Option 1:

Option 1:
This utility allows you to remove Norton GoBack from the computer's
partition table.
If you do not want this option, remove the CD from the CD/DVD drive and
restart the computer.

The following appears on your computer screen:

pause

Unhooking GoBack from the MBR...
(The uninstall screen for GoBack appears. When GoBack properly unhooks
from the MBR, the DOS screen appears.)
Norton GoBack has been removed from the partition table. Please restart
your computer.

Option 2:

Option 2:
This utility allows you to repair the MBR.
If you do not want this option, remove the CD from the CD/DVD drive and
restart the computer.

The following appears on your computer screen:

pause

Repairing the MBR...
The MBR has been repaired. Please restart your computer.

(If the repair was not necessary, the text above reappears.)

  • Re: W2K Recovery Console Installation with GoBack Installed
    ... The first drive is master and the second slave, and I boot from the first partition of the first drive. ... > The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot ... > or you must boot from the program floppy without GoBack in memory for ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: XP system restore and Go Back
    ... Recently I have had two goes at installing GoBack onto a system running ... Is it possible that turning off System Restore would solve my installation ... >> increased stability of XP and the NTFS file system I've never had to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: W2K Recovery Console Installation with GoBack Installed
    ... | I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, NTFS with no problems ... I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe ... the console showed up in the boot ... I know that it must be disabled from within Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Goback 4 and Acronis True Image 10 dont work anymore
    ... Acronis True Image does not function if I have anything else but the ... basic installation of XP SP2, but without the patches posted after SP2 ... that no goback points are available. ...
  • Re: SP2 restarts in boot up
    ... > down all third party programs. ... Then on the restart it ... > Thankfully I had Norton GoBack and was able to revert to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)