Re: removing windows boot manager

More information at the bottom!

John John wrote:
See at the bottom.

gls858 wrote:

John John wrote:

If there is only one boot path then all you have to do is set the timeout= to 0 seconds. You can do it in msconfig or by deselecting the "Display list of operating systems for..." in the System Properties Startup and Recovery options. (Remove the check from the box and the value will be adjusted accordingly).

John

gls858 wrote:

John John wrote:

How many boot paths are there in the boot.ini file? Maybe the corresponding Vista entry is already deleted and all you want to do is have no boot menu show at startup? If the pc boots to the correct default Operating System then you can just change the timeout= value in the boot.ini file. Paste the contents of your boot.ini file here so we can have a look at it.

snip<

No floppy drive.

Well.. when I just let it boot up without making a selection I get a black
screen saying there's been a serious error. Sure was I formatted the partition where Vista was installed :-) Here's the boot.ini.

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I searched the drive for bcdedit.exe but no luck. Guess I could always reload Vista and see if I could make the change before I blow it away.
Probably should be asking these question in a Vista beta group.

Thanks for the help
gls858

The file entries look correct. Go in the System Properties Startup and Recovery options and re-select "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT as the Default operating system again. That is what the file seems to point to but lets try to tell it again and see what happens.

bcedit will not be of any use for XP. The Vista boot configuration is stored in a different location and contains different information and bcedit is used to work these settings. In a multi-boot environment with Vista and older NT operating systems the boot.ini file is still needed to start the older operating systems.

John

Well, this thing had me scratching my head for a bit, I couldn't understand why the boot.ini file seemed to not work properly so I thought that the reason would be that ntldr was changed by Vista and that the new version was buggy, so, one should be able to replace the NT Loader with the XP version and the problem would be fixed... Being that I haven't used Vista I thought I better do some research before I post the suggestion. Surprise, surprise! The new Vista releases no longer use ntldr! Microsoft has given Vista a new completely different boot manager, and from my initial reading and research my first impression is that I don't like it one bit! My old advice of using third party boot managers to do multi-boot has only strengthened.

So, how to fix the problem? From the information that I have found all over the web, some of which made no sense at all, I have four solutions that seem to be the most plausible but I have no Vista installation to test so you will have to do the testing for us. The boot information and the Vista boot tools are now in the boot folder on the system volume (C:\boot). Here are the possible fix that I have found, in order that seems to be from easiest or most plausible to hardest:

1- Use the BootSect.exe utility found in the Boot folder or on your Vista DVD.

Use option /nt52 to restore the ntldr boot loader

2- Use fixntfs.exe (in the boot folder) to remove the Vista boot loader. You should be able to access the tool from a command prompt while in XP. Issue command:

fixntfs.exe -xp

Alternatively one suggestion was to run it from command.com (instead of cmd.exe, don't ask me why) and issue:

fixntfs -xp -all

These commands have to be run from the C:\boot folder.

3- Boot to the XP Recovery console and issue commands:

fixmbr
and if necessary fixboot

That should restore the XP ntldr boot manager. After doing the fix clean up the boot.ini file if necessary. One could also use the Bootcfg /rebuild command in the Recovery Console to rebuild the boot.ini file.

4- This is the long way out if nothing seems to work. On some sites I have read that the other methods don't work and that this alternative has worked for these folks. Simply boot with your Windows XP cd and install a new copy of XP on another free partition (like where Vista was). DON'T INSTALL IT WHERE YOUR CURRENT XP IS INSTALLED! You can then, from your first XP installation, format the new installation edit the boot.ini file accordingly.

Please let us know how you fixed the problem as I am sure that the question will be asked frequently once Vista is officially released to the general public.

Regards;

John

  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... No one has said either yes or no to the proposed installation as described ... just disconnect the already installed Vista drive, then plug in the blank HDD ... the first of the boot options if it detects WinXP already installed on the ... The System Partition must be a primary partition and marked Active ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... This always boots from the same System Partition on the same HDD each time and presents a menu. ... Each System Partition boots only a single OS, either WinXP or Vista. ... So far as I know, this does not offer a menu; you must reboot - and reset the boot device in the BIOS - each time. ... Using the built-in system, and assuming a single installation of Vista and a single installation of WinXP, the opening menu would look like this: ...
  • P5E3 Deluxe WiFi/AP: Cant Find SATA Boot Device Error
    ... when trying to boot to a WIndows Vista 32-bit ... The DVD drive is set as ... The installation program then stated ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Multiple Vista boot options
    ... You will recall that it would not boot up from the HD after time-out of the "Press any key to boot from CD" message during installation of XP. ... To get something on the screen again I booted from the Vista installation DVD and selected Repair to Vista, ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...
  • Re: downgrading from windows vista towindows xp
    ... XP is Now a long dilema with vista. ... To completely wipe Vista off of your disk and do a fresh install of XP. ... the official way to dual boot does not permit ... only need one disc drive and both Operating Systems can ...