Re: How often to defragment?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <franksaunders@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23lERCURaGHA.4752@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"beevale" <beevale@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eOwJ2JQaGHA.3408@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How often should the defragmenting tool be used - whenever I have
analysed the possibilities of using it I am advised that I do not
need to defragment this volume - yet I have also read it is good
policy to defragment system frequently.

My hard drives are all NTFS, so I defrag every year or two.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Yes my hard drives are NTFS so thanks for your advice everyone!

  • Re: Hard drive scanning software?
    ... an increasing number of seminars and hardware vendors about hard drives losing their magnetic signal over time. ... The fix that they suggested was to conduct a 'hard drive scan', where in doing so, any fading magnetic signals would get replenished as it was scanned by the read head. ... I'm wondering if there's any software that would do a simple but complete/thorough scan, but NOT a defragment. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Hard drive scanning software?
    ... an increasing number of seminars and hardware vendors about hard drives ... losing their magnetic signal over time. ... conduct a 'hard drive scan', where in doing so, any fading magnetic signals ... complete/thorough scan, but NOT a defragment. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • RE: Hard drive scanning software?
    ... Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP ... an increasing number of seminars and hardware vendors about hard drives ... conduct a 'hard drive scan', where in doing so, any fading magnetic signals ... complete/thorough scan, but NOT a defragment. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • DEFRAGMENTER
    ... My CP has 2 hard drives. ... has Windows XP HOME installed and is FAT32, Will not defragment ... Is NTFS and will defrag. ...
  • Re: Defrag or Similar on the Mac?
    ... PaulS writes: ... I'd defragment the hard drives every so often. ... seem to find this option on the Mac - is there any similar operation I ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)