Re: Share a folder with an

Donald Campbell wrote:
On a peer to peer network with WinXP, how do you share a folder with an
access password?

BR
Don C

Like WinNT and Win2K before it, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, you can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its contents. Also, some applications allow the user to password-protect their specific data files. Read the specific application's Help files for further information on this capability.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

  • Re: CAn you lock a Folder?
    ... Like WinNT and Win2K before it, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual applications, files, or folders. ... it uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups. ... HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to set password on Shared Documents folder?
    ... Like WinNT and Win2K before it, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual applications, files, or folders. ... it uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups. ... HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: Password protecting a folder
    ... Like WinNT and Win2K before it, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual applications, files, or folders. ... it uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups. ... HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: File Security
    ... > certain files/folders in XP Pro? ... the cumbersome method of password protection for individual ... HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions ... HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: how do i setup a password on a shared folder?
    ... allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual applications, files, or folders. ... it uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users ... HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP ... HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)