Re: Back-Up Data

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:27:05 -0000, Terry Bennett wrote:

> I'm using Ghost 10.0 purchased about 2 months ago. The external Hard Drive
> is connected via the USB and a Hub. How can the speeds be improved?

USB2 or USB1.x?

>From a hardware point of view, USB 1.x could cause throughput
problems/slowdown. USB 1.x (slowest), USB2 (faster), firewire (faster yet),
internal drive (very fast).

There are other considerations though...

-Free space for the imaging program to work with. The temp file for this
has to go somewhere until it's written.

-Rate of compression: higher compression equals longer image creation. I
use the default settings in my imaging program.

-Compressing files that are already compressed can add time to the imaging
process. Example: Not much benefit to be gained by compressing .jpg or .zip
files. In fact, the results for these items can end up larger than what you
started with. Am guessing that using NTFS compression on your local drives
could slow the imaging program down.

I use Acronis' True Image. It takes about 8 minutes to image ~7GB to an
external USB2 hard drive; 5 minutes to image to another local partition.
Another 5-8 minutes to validate the image.

4 hours does seems like a really long time if using Norton's Ghost...
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

  • Re: Image Backups and Vista
    ... At 1-1 compression I do believe that a larger USB attached drive just made my Christmas list. ... Data backups that I care ... My Windows Live Mail data is backed up ...
  • Re: Logic Analyzer Recommendations
    ... web pages that note that the acquisition speed is limited by the USB bus ... USB logic analyzers can have a lot of bang for the buck (and I use mine ... force a tradeoff between precision ... Compression does allow for long delays between events at quite high ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: MBRecord
    ... with the error " Master boot record compressed " I used a Ghost ... but restoring to a Restore Point MIGHT have helped; ... I just had a look with a hex editor and that error message is indeed ... Compression is controlled by looking in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: video compression
    ... I can get the data from the USB camera and downsample it to ... would be a 74Mbit/sec video down below 2Mbits/sec so it doesn't plug up my ... 10Mbit/sec Ethernet link. ... Any ideas of a compression method and what kind of processing power I'd need ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Microcontroller selection
    ... Ulf Samuelsson wrote: ... microcontrollers out there. ... If you want high speed USB, ... I'd suggest a simple Compression wrapper on the USB link. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)