Multihomed Network Running RRAS & DNS & WINS

From: rgc (rgc_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/25/05

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:51:05 -0800

I am running the above configuration on a W2K advanced server with two nic
cards with the primary nic assigned a static ip address which is local to the
lan and the second nic card is assigned a static ip address obtained from my
ISP provider. I am able to logon to the RRAS server and I see the connection
in RRAS. My problem is that I cann't browse the network neighorhood or see
any of the resources. When I connect through RRAS I am able to ping the IP
address that the RRAS server has assigned the connection but I am unable to
ping the server name and receive the following: The ping request could not
find the host eraoptical-01. Please check the name again. I find Microsoft
articles referencing DNS & WINS & RRAS explaining the need to change the
registry because of Name resolution and connectivity issues RRAS on Windows
2000 domain controllers that have RRAS service and DNS installed and RRAS IP
addrresses register in DNS. Is there not a clear answer from the community
of how to properly configure a multihomed system running RRAS & DNS & WINS
without all the brain damage! These products have been present since 2000
and I this should be a no brainer! I elminated all the bottlenecks between
my routers my ISP, IP addresses, and firewalls. The last part of this
configuration is not working because Microsoft has no clear concise
documentation to properly configure this type of configuration. My question
is then what configuration should I be using 5 years later when we all now
have high speed connections and want to support applications which will only
run on W2K. I want to know is there someone at Microsoft who has properly
configured this type of configuration in the field! When products don't work
I feel that they should provide the detail.

Thank,

Robert

Relevant Pages

  • DNS vulnerabilities in shared host environments
    ... A potential vulnerability in the use of DNS exists in some shared ... Note that cPanel's default configuration does limit this ... however many shared hosting providers alter the ... for that domain is created on the shared hosts DNS server. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: 70-294 next week
    ... to another DNS ... server for at least ... client, which then ... configuration on the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Still strange not fully working DNS server
    ... If nothing helps I guess the only optuin is to reinstall server, ... Ive removed that just a few hours ago and the GPO and DNS problem ... I also have disjoined and rejoined the client to the domain with ... Computer configuration, administrative templates, System, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Not able to create user/ group accounts in Exchange server
    ... configuration in offline. ... Installed win2k on new hardware server along with ... DNS and executed dcpromo and then moved roles from ... The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration)
  • Re: W2K3 Server Logon Script Question...
    ... Also i think because of the ISA you should post also about the configuration from internal domain to internet over ISA in: ... in the DNS server list of the NIC from server 2. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)