Re: target computer locks itself when using RD

From: Dave (noone_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 01/28/05

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:31:08 -0000

"Mike Barry" <Addrunt@charter.net> wrote in message
news:pu0jv09rm7pm1cdiahlrd1keqic3u5q39s@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:07:27 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Mike Barry" <Addrunt@charter.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> I've set up a WinXP Pro computer to receive Remote Desktop
> >> sessions (it's a member of a domain), and whenever I connect into this
> >> computer via RD the screen goes blank and then it says it's been
> >> locked and in use by another user.
> >>
> >> What I'd like to do is for the user on the target machine to
> >> be able to view what I'm doing. I've gone into Active Directory Users
> >> and Comuters and, on the Remote Control tab, set the parameters so
> >> that it should enable a viewable remote control session for that user.
> >>
> >> I've also gone into the target computer's local Group Policy
> >> and, in Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
> >> Components/Terminal Services enabled "Allow users to connect remotely
> >> using Terminal Services" and set "Sets fules for remote control of
> >> Terminal Services user sessions" to Option : Full Control with user's
> >> permission."
> >>
> >> In short, every time I connect the screen goes blank and the
> >> person in front of the target computer can't see anything except the
> >> message "This computer is in use and is locked."
> >>
> >> What have I missed?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> >You haven't missed anything - this is how Remote Desktop works
> >under Windows XP Professional. You have two options to resolve
> >your problem:
> >- Use Windows Server as a host (could be expensive)
> >- Use a product such as WinVNC (it's free)
> >

> I've used VNC before (RealVNC) and I'm fine with that. I just
> don't understand why the settings are such that you can specify
> interaction with a user via Terminal Services (ie, the Remote Control
> settings - both in AD-UAC and the local Group Policy).
>
> <shrug> Okay. I guess that answers that.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Mike

because windows xp is a 'single user' desktop operating system. so it can
only be used by one user at a time. if you want something similar to vnc
built in to xp try the 'Remote Assistance' capability instead of 'Remote
Desktop'. Remote assistance is made so the user sitting at the computer can
request someone remotely to help them and can then give them control of the
desktop. it does require someone locally at the machine to approve the
control though so you can't just take over a machine while someone else is
using it.