Re: 'My Computer ' window slows down in the afternoon!

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 06/09/04

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:12:01 -0400

Anything in your event logs?
What SP on W2k?
Any unavailable shares when you type

net use <enter>

in a command prompt?

Stuart Halliday wrote:
> Yes I've got an odd fault.
>
> On my Windows 2000 pro, 1GHz, 512MB RAM SP4 PC I find that in the late
> afternoon if I open the 'My Computer' window then it take about 20-30
> secs to open.
>
> There is only a C: drive, D: CDROM and 6 network shares to a Win NT4
> SP6a server on a local 100Mbit LAN in there.
>
> If I kill explorer.exe and restart it then the problem goes away until
> the next day.
>
> Other win2000 computers on the same LAN are not showing this problem.
>
> RAM is not an issue as there is plenty free. Though it does seems to
> sound likes it's a system resource problem doesn't it?
>
> I'd like to know which resource is not big enough. :-)
>
> Can you kind reader help?
>

> PC is Virus, Spyware and defrag clean.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cmd does not work properly
    ... "Net Use" to see a list of shares and redirects I get an error that ... NET works and I get a list of shares and redirections. ... we execute work on these two machines. ... If I drop to a command prompt and type in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cmd does not work properly
    ... "Net Use" to see a list of shares and redirects I get an error that ... NET works and I get a list of shares and redirections. ... we execute work on these two machines. ... If I drop to a command prompt and type in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Autorisation access
    ... Make a few failures and then tell us what is in the event logs. ... it prompts me for a user name and a password. ... > But users on dev.companyname.local can see and use the shares... ...
  • Re: SBS 2003 file system and shares are different
    ... > File System as they mean different things in this case. ... viewing hidden/system folders, ... If you go to a command prompt, navigate to D, and type in ... >> help you find out where shares point to. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Long time to explore "My Computer"
    ... Jonathan Ong wrote: ... In a command prompt, type ... Do you see any unavailable shares? ... easier to use a batch file with the net use command & ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)