Re: Keyboard locking up while holding down shift key too long

From: Mike Brown - Process Manager (mikebNOSPAM_at_NOSPAMassetforwarding.comNOSPAM)
Date: 03/24/04

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:42:51 -0500

"Karin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:12ebc01c411a8$bfbae110$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> A message appears and leaves fast after holding down the
> shift key on the keyboard too long. I can't read the
> message because it is lengthy and disappears too fast. I
> cannot get out of this locked state except rebooting. Is
> there a combination of keys that will unlock the
> keyboard? Rebooting takes too long.

It's a long shot, but this may be part of the "Accessibility" features. If
you hit the Shift key 5 times, StickyKeys will be turned on. If Windows is
having trouble accessing the Accessibility features, you may get an error
message. Possibly your holding of the shift key is being received by the
computer as repeated pressing. Try looking in the Accessibility settings,
or in your system CMOS settings under "key repeat." Doubt this will help,
but good luck anyway.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AKICIF (new PC)
    ... I gave it to her because the keyboard is poorly designed--an up arrow ... key next to the small right shift key. ... I later bought myself an Acer Aspire, a similar netbook with a much ... so I end up using my Mac laptop instead. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • RE: How to override RichTextBox ProcessCndKey() for text cursor contro
    ... I have tried your code snippet and reproduced out your problem. ... such as TAB, RETURN, ESCAPE, and arrow keys(for keyboard navigation). ... in window procedure of RichEdit control, it will determine if the shift key ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls)
  • Re: Intermittent failure of c, v, h, t and s keys
    ... I would try a new keyboard - there is more to a keyboard than just a working ... Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours ... >work if I hold the shift key down. ... >happened in other office applications as well. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: keyboard failure that doesnt seem to be hardware
    ... to log in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not ... can you try holding down the shift key for say ... try toggling Slow Keys in Settings->Accessibility. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Deleting problems with Word 2004
    ... I have tried launching Word 2004 while pressing the Shift key, ... Do you have any programs installed that in some way modify keyboard ... My computer is a Power Mac G5 'Tower' with the following Hardware ... Replaces Selection not having a check in the box. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)