Help w/ pushing/pulling apps to XP pro.

From: johhan (bj1951_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: 25 Mar 2004 18:17:47 -0800

Hey guys:
Question about howto "push" apps onto a windows XP pro desktop. I know
that I can set it via the GPO, which I have. I have linked it on my
test 2003 SBS server(one server/an all-in-one w/ dns, exchange, etc)
via the wizard in the GPManagement console.
However, when I logon as a regular domain user on the XP pro desktops
(only domain user privledges), it says that it can't install
software--contact admin. However, when I logon as the admin, with the
domain admin password as domain admin, it does NOTHING. Why? Shouldn't
the MSI file get downloaded and install automagically? I have it set
to "assinged" mode, i.e. Adobe Acrobat 6.0.1, with it pointing to the
default shared folder on the sbs2003 server.
Why is it not launching the install program?
And what program can I use to modify the install permissions, so the
admin does not *have* to logon individually to each and every client
on the network?
--Bernard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help w/ pushing/pulling apps to XP pro.
    ... There are a few "tricks" to getting Acrobat to work when assigned via a GPO. ... when I logon as a regular domain user on the XP pro desktops ... However, when I logon as the admin, with the ... > the MSI file get downloaded and install automagically? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Deny Interactive Logon but Allow Runas
    ... users may also need to install a fix-pack, ... be an admin to install. ... if your secret app is really so bad ... As our users don't have local admin rights they usually have ...
  • RE: Office tries to repair/reinstall
    ... Giving admin rights to everyone is not the solution. ... The file association issue should be also related to the Office 2007 installation. ... I will check the registry and install windows installer. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • RE: Administrator Rights?
    ... but the "run as" secondary logon is sufficient. ... Someone with Admin credentials does not have to be the primary logon for the ... updates to fire and install. ... Windows update will not install ANY update if the Admin is not logged on. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Getting frustrated
    ... > after I had given her user name admin privileges. ... > between the user accounts. ... I'd like for her to be able to install and uninstall ... > I have another workstation to set up that is XP Pro. ...