Re: Can Windows 2000 restore the registry?

BillW50 wrote:
Windows 98 has SCANREG /RESTORE

Windows XP has the System Restore

But is there something for Windows 2000 which has the same ability?

If it's just the registry you want to restore there is no direct means of restoring the registry in a single command. However you should ensure that the Win2k repair console is on your hard drive. That way you can always boot to this if the Win2k registry is corrupt and prevents Win2k from booting. From the repair console you simply copy from winnt/repair/regback folder all of the files (except the 2 dat files) to winnt/system32/config. You simply use the console's COPY command to do this like you would do under DOS.

To ensure that the regback folder always has up to date working registry files, you need to frequently update this via NTBackup and use the ERD option, ticking the registry option. Do this just after booting up as any changes to the registry that occur via downloads/installations etc might corrupt the registry, which you won't discover until you try to boot up next time around.

  • Re: Im an idiot with a recovery console
    ... There is no Registry modification thing in Recovery console but if you ... Windows XP but no Microsoft programs are working with the afore ... use the generic restore system in XP thats all turned off but I know ... I started an XP installation i have on a seperate ...
  • Re: LSA Shell (Export Version) Message: "LSA Shell encountered a problem Windows is shutting do
    ... System Restore back to a time prior to when this began. ... It is possible that the registry ACL for the key Lsa may not be set to the ... > I'm told that it's a known problem with Windows XP. ... > same error message and my computer shuts down and restarts. ...
  • Re: lost details
    ... Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • >>>> RESTORE REGISTRY <<<<
    ... Restore Registry Windows 98 ... Manually Restore Xp Registry ... Restore Registry From Backup ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.shell)
  • Re: Windows XP optimization tricks
    ... Windows NT has been my standard desktop Windows version since NT 3.51, ... Win2k is, in fact, the pinnacle of Windows's achievement. ... Susceptibility to registry corruption is common on all versions of windows, ... WinMe they experimented with a more sophisticated system of system restores ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)