System Restore Alternatives

I have Windows 2000 installed on a 433MHz machine (yes, it's ancient). Due
to its being only a 433MHz I installed 2000 instead of XP Professional
because I figured 2000 was a better match to the machine's age, wouldn't
"overwhelm" it as much as XP Pro would, especially by the time you do SP2 or
whatever the latest service packs & updates are & everything.

Anyhow, I do realize that 2000 does not have "System Restore" which is one
XP Pro feature I love--if I install something new and then find it it's
spyware city, I can easily get rid of all remnants of it using System
Restore. (My wife loves to download games & install them, and often-times we
find out it has spyware & other junk on it, and at that time I'm quite
hard-up about getting totally rid of all remnants of it--I go through
considerable pains to get my computers as "clean" as possible so that their
performance isn't compromised.)

Since Windows 2000 doesn't have this, what are other options? I do hear of
people saying to backup the registry, but I get confused about how to do
it--some settings in doing this results in a file that's many megabytes in
size (like 30-70 megabytes or something)--isn't that awfully big for a
registry file? Also, wouldn't that still leave "remnants" of an undesired
program behind?

I did find this KB240363 article about it, is this what I am supposed to do?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240363

(I also found this at Google where 3rd party programs are mentioned:
http://tinyurl.com/rxq8s)

Tips?

LRH

  • Re: System Restore Alternatives
    ... XP Pro feature I love--if I install something new and then find it it's ... I can easily get rid of all remnants of it using System ... (I also found this at Google where 3rd party programs are mentioned: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Flash 7 problem
    ... So where all else can remnants of this FLASH 7 install be? ... throught he registry and OS/2.INI files? ... >> Access Violation ...
    (comp.os.os2.apps)
  • Re: To ensure clean hd before selling unit: Best practice?
    ... I'm not an international spy. ... there were plenty of 'remnants' of old user profiles floating around ... that the install obviously did not deal with...so many remnants, ... [The second time I worked harder to get a clean partition to ...
  • Re: Word not opening my file
    ... Well everything you have said points conclusively at the remnants of the NAV ... install you had. ... Prev by Date: ...
  • Re: MAKING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM SECURE AFTER ITíS BEEN COMPROMISED
    ... > decided to install X Software Application on a computer, ... So you got hit by a script-kiddy trojan. ... > youíre online using your computer, with a floppy in the drive. ... Export Registry File ...
    (microsoft.public.security)