Re: Length limitation of Path Environment Variable?

Kenneth Yan wrote:

Do anyone can help me on this? Does Windows 2k and NT has length limitation on Path variable?

I found that when we tried to append some path to user path variable to some our workstations. some machines unable to make the user path variable take effect and only system path variable take effect on the machine.

After shorten the path, the user path variable can append to system path again.

Does this really the OS limitation? are there any workaround solution other than shorten the path??

Hi,

What is the maximum length of the PATH variable?
http://www.jsifaq.com/subD/tip1900/rh1907.htm

<quote>
The System path has a maximum length of 1023 bytes, not counting the
Path= characters.

The user defined path is the lesser of 511 bytes or (1023 - SystemPath).

</quote>

-- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx .