Re: Length limitation of Path Environment Variable?

Kenneth Yan wrote:

Do anyone can help me on this? Does Windows 2k and NT has length limitation on Path variable?

I found that when we tried to append some path to user path variable to some our workstations. some machines unable to make the user path variable take effect and only system path variable take effect on the machine.

After shorten the path, the user path variable can append to system path again.

Does this really the OS limitation? are there any workaround solution other than shorten the path??

Hi,

What is the maximum length of the PATH variable?
http://www.jsifaq.com/subD/tip1900/rh1907.htm

<quote>
The System path has a maximum length of 1023 bytes, not counting the
Path= characters.

The user defined path is the lesser of 511 bytes or (1023 - SystemPath).

</quote>

-- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: certutil to verify the presence of a cert on multiple machines?
    ... system path on the remote systems. ... just redirect the output to a result file. ... If certutil.exe does not exist in system path on the remote servers, ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: certutil to verify the presence of a cert on multiple machines?
    ... system path on the remote systems. ... just redirect the output to a result file. ... If certutil.exe does not exist in system path on the remote servers, ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: certutil to verify the presence of a cert on multiple machines?
    ... system path on the remote systems. ... just redirect the output to a result file. ... If certutil.exe does not exist in system path on the remote servers, ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Need a script to add additional proxy email addresses to user acco
    ... Talk to your Exchange Administrator all you need to do is change the Recipient Policy on the Org, this can be an append, reset of filtered through an LDAP query. ... I am a novice at scripting and I am lookng for a script that can add ...
  • Re: Append To File - SQL Server 2005
    ... available when scripting database objects in SQL Server 2005's SSMS. ... The first time I generate the files for the procs everything looks fine. ... When I script them out a second time to the same location with the "Append ... new script output to the end of the existing file. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)