Re: 100% CPU with ntvdm.exe

I tried the priority level idea.
The overall performance is much better.
As you wrote, the CPU still showing 100%, but changing to other apps is as
fast as normal.
I should add however, that I'm working OFFLINE now. I should re-test the
idea while
connected to the PLC (which the DOS app does as I wrote in other msg).

Thanks.

> > Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:05:48 +0900
> >
> > > Hi there.
> > >
> > > Win2K, SP4
> > >
> > > I have one DOS program when I use it, the CPU indicator goes to 100%.
> > > Looking at the processes tab of Task Manager, it's always "ntvdm.exe"
that
> > > consumes the whole CPU power.
> > > Moving around to other apps becomes so slow and sluggish.
> > > Several seconds after that DOS program loses the focus, the CPU usage
goes
> > > back down to normal even though
> > > the DOS program still running. Go back to the DOS program, the CPU
goes up
> > > again.
> > >
> > > Other DOS programs I have don't have the same behavior.
> > > Any idea.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Hosam.
> >
> > Got the PIF Properties under the Advance tab checked for the
> > background for this DOS application? That should help, although the
> > application won't run in the background anymore if that is
> > important.
> >
> > Other than that, some DOS programs don't share the CPU fairly under
> > some OS like Windows 2000, XP, and OS/2. As the OS thinks such
> > things as reading the keyboard buffer while the DOS application is
> > doing nothing is something useful that the DOS application needs to
> > do. OS try to figure such CPU tasks are not important (as the OS
> > handles this task for the application anyway). But some DOS
> > applications are written in a way that the OS just doesn't get it.
> >
> > So what does this DOS application do anyway?
> >

> > Cheers!

> > Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 98SE)
> > -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

  • Re: DOS application taking 100% CPU
    ... Tried this program and it doesn't seem to detect the DOS program and doesn't ... throttle the CPU therefore it is still using 100% CPU. ... >> Is there a troubleshooting workflow I can follow to track this ...
  • Re: Assembly Question
    ... even though the CPU is excatly the same. ... Actually, does anyone remember WIN32S? ... to be executed under 16-bit Windows (which itself was a DOS ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Programs expecting "initial values"
    ... DOS 3 features that hinted at concurrency. ... The operating system allocates CPU cycles and other resources. ... have allowed return to the real mode. ... I'm not aware of any Yield function in DOS. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Multiprocessor ASM??
    ... >>To loose a pointer, is a speedy way to crash a system. ... > Polling often fails to work, ... > and the other CPU for polling (as long as the other CPU/s ... > I'm not sure (DOS is relatively obsolete), ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Reduce PIII Mobile CPU Speed in DOS?
    ... Mobile ... |>PIII with Speed Step in DOS or DOS Mode? ... |>the CPU temperature that high. ... I never noticed this with the older PIII 650 ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)