Re: Recovering chk files in the found.000 folder

From: Liron (Liron.1g1n0z_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 11/20/04

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:24:29 -0600

R. C. White wrote:
> *Hi, Liron.
>
> > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,
>
> Yes. And no.
>
> Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectly
> recognizable and
> readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and rename
> it back
> to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothing
> but
> "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program that
> you can't
> identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which might
> be a
> portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic,
> or a
> music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, or
> who knows
> what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, you
> MAY be
> able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are,
> though,
> that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at an
> unreasonable cost
> in time and/or money.
>
> It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of the
> files.
> Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to be
> somewhat
> less than 10% of the lost files.
>
> IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
> Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> [/vbcol] *

Thank you so much RC! That was extremely helpful as I think I can AT
LEAST try to recover my DBX files (which are the most important ones
anyway). Some CHK files were over 600MB so I'm assuming it's the DBX
files. So what I should do is basically rename those chk files to .dbx
and see which ones work?

Thank you again!

--
Liron

  • Re: Recovering chk files in the found.000 folder
    ... > *Hi, Liron. ... > IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, ... >> Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, ... manually search through the found.000 folder if you wish. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)
  • Re: Help.. how to restore dir0000.chk files
    ... There was some agreement that bits ... > of text can be recovered from CHK files. ... I'm looking to recover a fairly large ... Time to start ripping again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Found.000 chk files recovery
    ... I know it's all the profile data that WinXP has "dropped" after the system ... has hung but how to recover from these chk files Word, ... > Hi Alain, ...
  • RE: ChkDsk has truncated all my files
    ... Is that the only folder left on the external drive? ... with the original files. ... CHK files can be recovered. ... Recover CHK Files ...
  • Re: Mission Failed?
    ... Try DBXtract again on the folder and this time, do not use Recover mode. ... Timur Abdullin wrote: ... including your DBX files in your message store folder to ...