Re: DNS replication on 2 domain on 2 forests

In news:1165281377.576717.6730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Nico2005 <nterreault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated, which I commented on below:
Its on the same subnet

1 domain is on a 10.10.1.1
the 2nd domain is on a 192.168.1.1
with both having subnet 255.255.255.0

is it possible only with a switch or i really need a router ???
because i need a trust to move stuff from one domain to the other and
after shutdown the first domain.

I dont know if its will be more easy just to start from scratch (only
have 17 users) both my problem is i dont want to redo all security.
But if its more easy i will start from scratch

Thanks again.

Switches "route" (hate to use that term with a switch since it is confusing
to many who are not fully familiar with it), by discerning the MAC address
on each port. Each NIC has a unique MAC address and therefore traffic
between ports can be restricted for two machines to those ports only. It
makes the network more efficient. Hubs do not route, but are just bit
repeaters that repeat the traffic on ALL ports. Routers "route" by
discerning IP subnets.

You are asking what you need to "route" IP addresses between different
subnets, therefore, the answer is you need a router.

If you know your seven layers (OSI model), that will help understand what
device works on what layers and why. From the top down, it goes smarter to
dumber. Disregarding the first top three, since they are considered
"application" layers, and the 4th, which is the Transport layer (TCP, UDP
and SPX work here, as well as NAT devices and anything else that uses TCP or
UDP), Network layer is where IP addresses live. Routers work on that layer.
Datalink is where the MAC addresses live. Bridges and switches (multi port
bridges) live here. Physical has no intelligence, hence why they repeat. The
smarter it is (going up the stack), the more intricate the device is and the
more expensive it will be. Hence why routers cost more than switches.

(Application requesting network activity)

App
Presentation
Session
Transport (TCP, UDP, SPX, etc)
Network (IP, IPX) (routers work on this layer)
Datalink (MAC) (Bridges, Switches)
Physical (Hubs)

wire plugged into the network

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

  • Re: Re (2): Linux hub
    ... "Switches may operate at one or more OSI layers, including physical, ... as such basically ignored everything above layer 1. ... would not be complex enough to call a CPU in modern times. ... cause of this is saturation of the bus between the network card and the CPU, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Low-end Layer 3 switch?
    ... I need a very low-end Layer 3 switch (or router, ... At the time "switches" were ... northern Illinois), routers typically had fewer, lower speed interfaces ... out, plus Ethernet, Token Ring, FDDI, Arcnet, etc. ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • RE: Caching a sniffer
    ... Agreed, switches can be made to give up secrets, however, as I have sub ... Any medium to large organisation should be using manageable network ... most network connected devices they need to have functionality on other ... information which resides at the Network layer of the OSI ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Connecting a branch office...HELP
    ... if it's a layer 2 point to point, yes, you can plug it on switches directly. ... Currently Network A is running and Network B will be constructed. ... From server in network A, can you ping your new server in network B? ... Is your T1 a true layer 2? ...
  • Re: Poor performance from XBOX MC Extender
    ... Something is definitely odd with your network. ... including details of all routers, switches, etc. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)